The concept of Aeon (
In the Toaru Majutsu no Index universe, the Aeons are a mysterious concept introduced by Aiwass when it meets Accelerator during the DRAGON Arc, when it states that Accelerator can't defeat it due to his attack being from the Aeon of Osiris. Aiwass itself is a being from the Aeon of Horus.
Principles[edit | edit source]
Aeons[edit | edit source]
The first of these was the Aeon of Isis (イシスの
In Thelemite beliefs, the Aeon of Isis was followed by the Aeon of Osiris (オシリスの
And finally the third aeon, the Aeon of Horus (ホルスの
Other Aeons[edit | edit source]
Some Thelemites believe that the Aeon of Ma'at will eventually replace the present one.
Other[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
Like many other European magicians who had reached a dead-end in their research and sought new material elsewhere to make a breakthrough, Aleister Crowley traveled to Egypt, conveniently located just across the Mediterranean, and while he was there incorporated the names of Isis, Osiris and Horus into his concept of Aeons, eliciting a laugh from the Magic God Nephthys. During his time with the Golden Dawn, there are a number of people who didn't support the concept, an extreme view even within that cabal.
In the series, several characters are referenced as being from or possessing the Aeon of Osiris, which is defined (in a simplified manner) as having their worldview defined by the God of Christianity. However, even this definition is too narrow, Accelerator, a non-Christian character, was also described as being in the Aeon of Osiris. Therefore, characters in the Aeon of Osiris have their worldview limited not specifically by the God of Christianity, but rather by an existential belief in outside objective systems of good and evil or right and wrong that are imposed on the character from without. Accelerator may not be a Christian, but up to a certain point, he is controlled by his belief in the notions of "heroism" and "villainy" as they are defined from an outside standpoint.
Chronology[edit | edit source]
Toaru Majutsu no Index[edit | edit source]
DRAGON Arc[edit | edit source]
- Main article: DRAGON Arc
When Aiwass' self defense program activated in order to counter Accelerator's attack, it referred to his Awakened form as being from the Aeon of Osiris and thus could not match against something like it from the Aeon of Horus.
World War III Arc[edit | edit source]
- Main article: World War III Arc
The topic of Aeons is mentioned yet again when Aleister Crowley and Fiamma of the Right face off at the end of World War III. There, Aleister praises Fiamma for having made it thus far, but scolds him for staying within the borders of the Aeon of Osiris, implying that, had Fiamma accomplished his plan under the Aeon of Horus, he would have succeeded. He then offhandedly mentions that he has himself gone beyond that, that he is now is of the Aeon of Horus, rejecting the old laws and wanting to create a new world with new laws. It is currently unknown how much are the Aeons of importance to Aleister's Plan. Later when Ollerus and Silvia arrive to rescue Fiamma after being left for dead by Aleister they offer him protection in exchange for what he had heard so they could try to read between the lines of the Aeon of Osiris that Fiamma is of and to see Crowley's Aeon of Horus which comes after.
Also, since the Invisible Thing sealed inside Touma's right arm was able to defeat Fiamma even in his La Persona Superiore a Dio form, it is safe to assume that the Invisible Thing might go beyond the Aeon of Osiris, a fact that even Aleister seems to confirm.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index[edit | edit source]
World Rejecter Arc[edit | edit source]
- Main article: World Rejecter Arc
Coronzon Arc[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Coronzon Arc
This section requires expansion
The matter of the Aeons and the magic derived from them was brought up multiples times during the events surrounding the Crowley's Hazard invasion of the United Kingdom and the battle to thwart Coronzon's Ceremony of Mo Athair.
Kamijou Arc[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Kamijou Arc
Aiwass and Anna Sprengel referred to the Aeons while discussing the events which had previously transpired. Later, in a message to Tsuchimikado Motoharu, Aleister referred to the change and the new threat which had emerged as something he failed to predict even with the Aeon of Horus.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- According to Kamachi, the three parts of the Coronzon Arc are meant represent the three main Aeons; Isis, Osiris and Horus. The first volume represents the Aeon of Isis, with the Divine Mixtures derived from the pre-Christian Egyptian and Greek gods. The second volume represents the Aeon of Osiris, with the resolution coming down to the use of Christianity. The third volume represents the Aeon of Horus by going beyond that.
- In the real-life "Magick in Theory and Practice", Aleister Crowley wrote: "There is a Magical operation of maximum importance: the Initiation of a New Aeon. When it becomes necessary to utter a Word, the whole Planet must be bathed in blood. Before man is ready to accept the Law of Thelema, the Great War must be fought. This Bloody Sacrifice is the critical point of the World-Ceremony of the Proclamation of Horus, the Crowned and conquering Child, as Lord of the Aeon." While this paragraph was apparently written in 1911, three years before the outbreak of World War I (also known as the Great War), Aleister Crowley carried out something similar by themselves in the Toaru series, in the form of the invasion of the British Commonwealth by the Crowley's Hazards. This conflict, in which the billion or so Crowleys were killed but did not kill anyone, was a worldwide blood sacrifice which was intended to optimize the prime Aleister, and was said to have dyed the planet red with blood.
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 19 Chapter 4 Part 3
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Chapter 2 Part 4
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Between the Lines 3
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Epilogue
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 4 Part 5
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 12 Part 1
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Proclamation of Armistice
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Reverse Prologue
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Reverse Epilogue
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Afterword
- "Magick in Theory and Practice" by Aleister Crowley
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Prologue
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 3 Part 5
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 4 Part 11