Anna Sprengel (アンナ＝シュプレンゲル An'na Shupurengeru?) is a magician of the Rosicrucian Order, the master of its No. 1 temple in Germany, who was said to have played a role in the foundation of the Golden Dawn and supposedly acted as a point of contact for the Secret Chiefs, though her existence has been considered a dubious one.
Anna Sprengel has the physical appearance of a ten-year old girl, about 30-40% shorter than Madame Horos when she was possessing Anna's body and with a flat chest. She has purple eyes and long reddish-blonde hair which reaches her ankles, rolled into large ringlet curls and squished flat at the ends into several fried shrimp shapes, with rose decorations throughout.
After being restored to her body, Anna wore the gaudy red dress which Madame Horos had been wearing while using her body (the fabric and design of which Anna did not like), which was now too big for her and had to be held to avoid it falling off. She was also barefooted, having discarded the shoes as they were now the wrong size for her.
This section requires expansion
NT22 Epilogue, NT22R
This section requires expansion
In the past, Anna supposedly helped in the foundation of the Golden Dawn. She was said to have functioned as a point of contact for the Secret Chiefs, much like Aleister Crowley would act as a point of contact for Aiwass, described by him as one of the theories concerning the Secret Chief. However, to most of the world it wasn't certain whether she actually existed or whether her existence was fabricated. In truth, Anna Sprengel was indeed a member of the Rosicrucian Order, master of its No.1 temple in Germany and a priestess who could call on the power of the Secret Chiefs.
A letter which William Wynn Westcott supposed received from her was actually forged by him in order to give prestige to the cabal he helped found. Wanting to claim that the cabal was the continuation of an ancient Rosicrucian line, he faked a letter sent to the German cabal (whom he claimed to have two temples) as well as a response from Anna Sprengel authorizing the creation of a British branch (hence the Isis-Urania Temple being called #3), an exchange known as the Sprengel Letters. While he faked the letters, Westcott did actually know Anna Sprengel in some form and was acting as a cloud. Anna Sprengel apparently allowed for her name to be used in the formation of the Golden Dawn on a whim, breaking one of the rules of the Rosicrucian Order in the process.
At one time, Anna tried out the iron maiden in Nuremberg but was disappointed. Another time, she consumed a sample of that time's St. Germain, which apparently left a bit more of a tingle on the tongue than the present-day one.
At some point in the late 19th century, Anna Sprengel's body was stolen by the fraud Madame Horos under unknown circumstances. Having been summoned by Anna, Aiwass was to hunt down the fraud and return Anna to her body. While the Golden Dawn was still active, Madame Horos approached Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers posing as Anna Sprengel and made off with crucial cabal documents after deceiving him, bringing a disaster to the cabal and earning Mathers' hatred.
Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
World War III ArcEdit
- Main article: World War III Arc
Anna is mentioned by Aleister Crowley when he appears to attack Fiamma of the Right in Russia, despite still being in the Windowless Building. Aleister describes her supposed role and dubious existence, saying that his current state is the one that Anna was said to have had.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Aleister Crowley ArcEdit
- Main article: Aleister Crowley Arc
Anna Sprengel is mentioned by the recreated Mina Mathers during the visions of Aleister's past shown to Kamijou Touma in the Windowless Building, specifically with regards to the letter forged by Westcott.
- Main article: Coronzon Arc
Anna Sprengel was mentioned during Aleister Crowley's explanation concerning the Isis-Urania Temple during the events involving the reproduced Golden Dawn. The events concerning the Horos deception were also referenced.
During the events surrounding the Ceremony of Mo Athair, Madame Horos appeared before Takitsubo Rikou, still posing as Anna Sprengel. After the ceremony was thwarted, she approached the dying Aleister, but was ambushed by Aiwass who proceeded to restore the real Anna to her body.
- Main article: Kamijou Arc
After the events in the Irish Sea, Anna and Aiwass travelled to the Tower of London, concealing their presence from the populace, observing and discussing the events which were unfolding at Windsor Castle concerning Kamijou Touma and the manifestation of the One who Purifies God and Slays Demons.
A magical expert of the Rosicrucian Order and master of its No. 1 temple in Germany, Anna Sprengel is an immensely powerful and knowledgeable magician. While not being a Secret Chief herself, Anna is a priestess who can freely contact and draw on the power of these transcendent beings, including Aiwass.
According to Aleister Crowley when he confronted Fiamma at the end of World War III, as a contact point for the Secret Chiefs, Anna was said to have been the same kind of higher existence that he had become at that point (described as existing in a different dimension, beyond just being expressible as 0 or 1, and being able to exist in multiple locations at the same time). Aiwass has referred to Anna as a genius who can rearrange atoms in front of her like it was normal and someone who can see an end result from the beginning like it was normal. After actually encountering her, Aleister referred to her in a message to Tsuchimikado Motoharu as someone who had crossed the Ungrund (or the Abyss).
At her full strength, Anna is apparently powerful enough to destroy Aiwass in his non-incarnated state in a single blow. After being weakened due to Madame Horos squandering much of that power, an arm stab to the gut from her was only able to bring Aiwass to his knees. She can jump on a spiked chair or into an iron maiden without scratching her skin and with only a mild feeling, and consume a sample of the potent St. Germain virus without any ill effects. A drop of her blood can apparently produce unknown miracles. In addition to her wealth of knowledge, Anna also has a high degree of foresight, having known the situation which would befall Lilith many years in advance, and while her predictions are not absolute, the end results of events don't often betray her expections.
As per the rules of the Rosicrucian Order, Anna is skilled at blending in with her surroundings, able to slip into the damaged Tower of London unnoticed by the many people viewing the damaged exterior through digital devices and the Anglican jailers careful to set up various measures to conceal the interior. Together with Aiwass, Anna has also made use of an invisibility spell based on the symbol of the black egg.
While in the Tower of London, she used a technique derived from the legend of miniature garden which Christian Rosenkreuz supposedly used to view the world, in order to view the current scene inside Windsor Castle. She made use of a jump rope, with silver paper and plastic film from chocolate boxes attached at set intervals and blue lighting provided by Aiwass. While she was swinging and jumping over the rope, the light was reflected off the pieces attached to it, forming an egg-shaped display area around her. A bluish-white image of Windsor Castle was visible from inside this area (but not from the outside), with people being shown in yellow. She also has knowledge of methods connected to Rosenkreuz's seven-walled tomb and considered using them to restore her lost power.
Character Art DesignsEdit
- According to Kamachi Kazuma, he is focusing on making Anna Sprengel a character who initially appears as a great ruler reigning over everything but is actually full of holes, seeming similar to Leivinia Birdway (young on the outside, perfect on the inside) but actually the opposite. Due to her role in the creation of the Golden Dawn, he wanted to give her an oddly powerful allure which draws people in like a black hole.
- "I am supposed to be one of the humans who hold out our hands to accept the blessings granted unto us. All I should need to do is look up and receiving the blessings and guidance provided by heaven. …But this world is too small. There is no longer anyone above me, so all I do is float around restlessly like a balloon."
- "I learned my lesson with the Golden cabal, so I am sick of being a queen who grants things to others. Sigh. Where can I find a true master who I can subdue with my power and have them provide me with never-before-seen wonders on demand?"
- (Observing the developing situation involving Kamijou Touma) "“Good morning, Imagine Breaker...and the One who Purifies God and Slays Demons. What does the world look like to the two of you?"
- '"There’s no point in going to the trouble of becoming a Secret Chief when you can set up a position for yourself that lets you draw on their power. Those transcendent beings are like credit cards."
- "I am sick of being a queen. I want to turn my damp eyes heavenward and hold out my hands to catch the rays shining down from between the clouds. I want someone out there to grant me miracles and blessings I can devour while I enjoy my life. In that sense, I do appreciate a world that keeps on going even when it’s attacked and broken."
- (To Aiwass) "Let’s watch, Aiwass. The One who Purifies God and Slays Demons has appeared. What will he destroy and what will he create within his chrysalis? I hope it will more than surpass my expectations." 
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Epilogue
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Between the Lines 1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 2 Part 12
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 4.17 4.18 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Epilogue
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 5.14 5.15 5.16 5.17 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Reverse Prologue
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Reverse Contents
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Rainbow Spectrum
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 8.4 8.5 8.6 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Reverse Between the Lines 2
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 3 Part 9
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 3 Part 13
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 1 Part 11
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Reverse Between the Lines 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Between the Lines 2
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Between the Lines 3
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Reverse Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Afterword
|Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers||William Wynn Westcott||William Robert Woodman|
|Mina Mathers|| Dion Fortune
| Aleister Crowley