In Toaru Majutsu no Index, certain forms of Magic make use of astrology.
Astrology is derived from the Latin astrologia, in turn derived from the Greek ἀστρολογία, approximately meaning 'study of the stars', comprised of ἄστρον/astron ("star") and -λογία/-logia, ("study/account of"). Astrologia later came to refer to 'star-divination' while astronomia (later astronomy (天文学 Tenmongaku?)) was used for the scientific term.
There are various patterns formed by the stars in the night sky, and some of these are considered to form images at specific points in the night sky. These are known as constellations (星座 Seiza?). The number of recognized constellations have changed over time and between different locations, with many cultures having various tales associated with them. In modern times, there are eighty-eight officially recognized constellations, many of them derived from Classical Mythology.
Among these are a group of twelve constellations known as the Zodiac, which follow the ecliptic belt across the celestial sphere which the Sun and planets travel along. The signs of the Zodiac are important elements in astrology, with various attributes associated with them, such as personality types, elements, times of the year and day, entities, and ruling planets.
The planets are another important aspect of astrology, with the ones traditionally used being Mercury (水星 Suisei?) (☿), Venus (金星 Kinsei?) (♀︎), Mars (火星 Kasei?) (♂︎), Jupiter (木星 Mokusei?) (♃) and Saturn (土星 Dosei?) (♄), together with the two 'lights'; the Sun (太陽 Taiyō?) (☉) and the Moon (月 Tsuki?) (☽). Like the Zodiac signs, the planets have various qualities associated with them, including entities such as angels and Planetary Spirits (惑星霊 Wakuseirei?).
The positions of the constellations and the planets observed in the night sky and in relation to each other (angles and proximity), combined with their individual qualities, are used to divine for a specific point in time, with different meanings and interpretations arising at different times. These positions and meanings can be used as a basis for various spells, a fair number of which are dependent on the state of celestial sphere.
For astrology, where the stars are actually located in the universe is of little importance compared to how they line up when viewed from Earth - it is the latter from which meanings are derived.
As well as the stars and planets, there are a number of other mysterious lights in the night sky. These have been viewed as unlucky stars and ill omens for millennia, and only within the past few decades been superseded by the idea of UFOs and vehicles flown by aliens.
In Western Astrology, the twelve signs of the Zodiac are Aries (白羊宮 Hakuyōkyū?) (♈︎), Taurus (金牛宮 Kingyūkyū?) (♉︎), Gemini (双児宮 Sōjikyū?) (♊︎), Cancer (巨蟹宮 Kyokaikyū?) (♋︎), Leo (獅子宮 Shishikyū?) (♌︎), Virgo (処女宮 Shojokyū?) (♍︎), Libra (天秤宮 Tenbinkyū?) (♎︎), Scorpio (天蝎宮 Tenkatsukyū?) (♏︎), Sagittarius (人馬宮 Jinbakyū?) (♐︎), Capricorn (磨羯宮 Makatsukyū?) (♑︎), Aquarius (宝瓶宮 Hōbeikyū?) (♒︎) and Pisces (双魚宮 Sōgyokyū?) (♓︎). As well as a month-long time period in the year, personality type, and element, they also have one of three modalities: Cardinal, Fixed and Mutable.
Astrology of this kind plays an important role in Hermeticism, being said to be one of the three parts of the wisdom of the universe held by Hermes Trismegistus.
Part of Golden-style magic involves the observation and use of the stars and mysterious lights in the night sky. As well as reading the future from the stars, magicians seal their light into talismans and amulets, and draw their power out when they see fit. Karasuma Fran is an example of a magician who practices Golden-style astrological magic. In Golden-style magic, the zodiac signs have a color (e.g. bright red for Aries and yellowish-green for Virgo) and an angel associated with them.
Onmyoudou makes use of certain aspects of astrology.
Indian astrology, also referred to as Vedic and Navagraha Astrology (九曜占星術 Kuyō Senseijutsu?), tells fortunes through the positions of 9 Navagraha; the Sun, the Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Rahu (ラーフ Rāfu?)(☊) and Ketu (ケートゥ Kēto~u?) (☋), as well as the angles of the constellations.
Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
- Main article: Index Arc
Deep Blood ArcEdit
- Main article: Deep Blood Arc
Index mentioned astrology during her first meeting with Himegami Aisa regarding her validity as a magician. Modern Astrology was included in her list together with the likes of Enoch, Kabbalah, Hermeticism and Vision of Mercury.
Daihasei Festival ArcEdit
- Main article: Daihasei Festival Arc (Index)
Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Necessarius Special Admission TestEdit
Astrology is referred to among the various magical-related systems which depend on the positions of the stars in the night sky, which the group known as the Royal Astronomical Research Organization was formed to observe, in order to obtain data regarding the use of those systems.
World War III ArcEdit
- Main article: World War III Arc
This section requires expansion
Previous event references, specific LN/Ep references
During World War III, Fiamma of the Right made use of Archangel Gabriel to clear the heavens and leave the Star of Bethlehem as the only 'star' in the night sky, as part of Project Bethlehem. When Fiamma was using the Star of Bethlehem to correct the Distortion of the Laws of the World and reset the four elements, a series of colored stars spread out across the sky.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Aleister Crowley ArcEdit
- Main article: Aleister Crowley Arc
During the battle with the Karma chain beasts, Fran invoked Virgo in a spell though the chains' interference caused Aries to activate instead. During the visions in the Windowless Building, it is also described how Aleister Crowley determined his daughter Lilith's long name by reading the stars.
- Main article: Coronzon Arc
While describing the problems with using Spiritual Tripping against Isis-Demeter when it was using Orsola Aquinas as a host, Aleister mentioned how Spiritual Tripping uses mime and astrological suggestion to bind the user to the target. He later referred to points in astrology when describing the Lady of the Masquerade Ball's use of the Planetary Spirit of Mercury, Taphthartharath.
When Coronzon prepared the Queen Britannia's temple for the Ceremony of Mo Athair, the seven planetary forces and the twelve zodiac influences were among the influences which she banished from the ceremonial ground. During Coronzon's remote attack on the group at Edinburgh Castle, Index referred to how astrology was thrown in chaos by the discovery of new planets (e.g. Uranus) but these objects (e.g. Pluto) do not obstruct the movements of the universe, during her misreading of the Book of the Law aimed at disrupting Coronzon's spell so that Aleister could destroy it.
Souyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Christmas Eve ArcEdit
- Main article: Christmas Eve Arc
This section requires expansion
GT1 - Other?
The associations of the seven metals with the planets (and from that the Sephirah) and invented angels with the Zodiac were brought up by Index and Othinus during analysis of the magic which Neoka Norito had acquired from R&C Occultics.
Uses of Astrology within the storyEdit
- Aries: The first sign of the Western Zodiac. The Sheep.
- Cancer: The fourth sign of the Western Zodiac. The Crab.
- When preparing healing magic ritual, John's Pen Index mentioned the end of the Cancer.
- Mercury: The first planet in the solar system.
- Moon: The only natural satellite of the Earth.
- When preparing healing magic ritual, John's Pen Index mentioned the angle of the moon.
- Navagraha Astrology: Also known as Vedic astrology, a form of astrology from India.
- Sirius: The brightest star in the night sky.
- When preparing healing magic ritual, John's Pen Index mentioned the direction of Sirius.
- Venus: The second planet in the solar system.
- Virgo: The sixth sign of the Western Zodiac. The Maiden.
- Western Astrology: The primary form of astrology present in the western world.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 3 Part 10
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 1 Part 8
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 1 Part 10
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 3 Part 11
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 2 Part 2
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble, Magic (Surface) Story
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 2 Part 1
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 1 Part 2
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 4 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Necessarius Special Admission Test Chapter 7
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 4 Part 2
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 3 Part 15
- ↑ Souyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 3 Part 12
- ↑ Souyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 4 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 Chapter 2 Part 15