Chimera (キメラ Kimera?) is a minor character introduced in Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index. She is a "bizarre magician", one of the magic gods who dwells in a territory beyond a certain layer of the world.
In Greek mythology, a chimera is a creature that is part lion, part goat and part snake or dragon. Its body is that of a lioness, a snake or dragon head is its tail, and a goat head pops out of its spine in the middle of its back. It also breaths fire. According to the myths, it was eventually slain by Bellerophon with the help of the winged horse Pegasus.
Before Chimera's appearance was described during an actual appearance by her, a fake version formed by Sample Shoggoth appears as a tall gentle-looking blond man person with fur attached to him like a lion's mane, horns and a snake. She later appeared as a nude female with parts from various creatures.
Chimera's background is largely unknown, however according to Niang-Niang, due to the limit to beauty obtained by polishing the human body, she started taking in elements and structures from other creatures, eventually leaving the category of 'human' all together.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Magic God Othinus ArcEdit
- Main article: Magic God Othinus Arc
St. Germain ArcEdit
- Main article: St. Germain Arc
Magic God Invasion ArcEdit
- Main article: Magic God Invasion Arc
- Main article: Salome Arc
Chimera remains exiled, but their likeliness was used in a bluff by Kihara Yuiitsu while fighting Kamijou Touma, Salome and Misaka Mikoto, making use of Sample Shoggoth and an attenuated St. Germain virus to make imitations of the Magic Gods and their magic, to make them think she could draw out the Magic Gods and their power after stealing World Rejecter from Kamisato Kakeru.
Kamisato Rescue ArcEdit
- Main article: Kamisato Rescue Arc
On December 9th, after Kamisato Kakeru himself fell victim to the World Rejecter's power, Chimera was among the Magic Gods who beat him up shortly after his arrival in the 'new world', though they didn't kill him. At that point, they and the rest of Gremlin were content to stay in the isolated world, but were keen for the new arrival to leave as soon as possible. A destructive struggle between Gremlin occurred when Nephthys and Niang-Niang decided to protect the boy against Chimera and the Magic Gods who sought to continue the punishment.
Being a Magic God, Chimera is powerful enough to risk destroying the world with her mere presence unless precautionary measures are taken. Even weakened by Aleister's spell, she is still capable of destroying the world. Chimera's appearance, the sound of her voice and the smell of her scent, are capable of driving normal humans mad.
Character Art DesignEdit
According to Haimura, there weren't any particular details focused on in the designs of Chimera and the Magic Gods whose appearances were shown for the first time through Yuiitsu's fabrications, given their lack of mention in the story, though Chimera was noted to be regrettably similar to a certain Asterios.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Epilogue
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 5 Part 7
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Rainbow Spectrum
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 3
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12 Prologue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 5 Part 9
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Prologue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 2