The hill on which the castle stands has been inhabited since at least the Iron Age (though the nature of the early settlements isn't clear) and was the site of a Gododdin hill fort (Din Eidyn/Etin) from some point prior to the 7th century to around 950 when it was abandoned to the Scots. The castle was built at some point during the Middle Ages, with a royal palace existing since at least the reign of David I in the 12th century. As one of the most important strongholds in Scotland, it has been involved in various historical conflicts including the 14th century Wars of Scottish Independence and the Jacobite rising of 1745. The castle sustained major damage from artillery bombardment in the 16th century and few of the present day buildings pre-date this time.
In the present day, the castle serves as a tourist attraction and occasional royal residence. It is also where the Honours of Scotland are kept. One of the buildings on the site is St. Margaret’s Chapel, considered the oldest building in Edinburgh, with a network of underground tunnels centered on it.
- Main article: Coronzon Arc
During the Crowley's Hazard invasion of the United Kingdom and the emergence of the reproduced Golden Dawn, the British Royal Family was evacuated from London to Edinburgh, with the castle as the destination, though the family had at first refused on the grounds of not wanting to abandon the people of London. As this risked breaking the anonymization barrier on the graveyard and Mathers' grave, the reproduced Golden Dawn targeted the royal convoy and sought to stop anyone else from reaching the castle and the grave. At the same time, Aleister Crowley, Kamijou Touma and their allies, also headed for the castle, in order to use Mathers' corpse against Coronzon.
After a battle against the cabal on the roads between London and Edinburgh, the royals eventually reached the castle, along with Aleister and Touma's group. Aleister found Mathers' corpse in the graveyard and attempted to use it to drive Coronzon from its host (believed to be his second daughter Lola), only to find too late that he had been deceived about the identity of the body Coronzon possessed. After stabbing Aleister, Coronzon took advantage of the opening and burnt Mathers' corpse so it couldn't be used against her again, with Touma subsequently preparing to face the demon.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 2 Part 12
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 2 Part 11
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 3 Part 5
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 3 Part 6
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 2 Part 13
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 3 Part 4
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 3