This is a list of references made to other media in Toaru Majutsu no Index and other works in the Toaru series, and in other media to the Toaru series.
References to other media in the Toaru seriesEdit
This section requires expansion
- In Volume 1 and Episode 1, Mikoto refers to Great Teacher Onizuka when asking Touma why he tried to save the delinquents.
- In Volume 1, the narrator refers Jojo's Bizarre Adventures Stand users.
- In Volume 2, Touma refers the manga series Black Jack when he was amazed about Himegami Aisa's medical aid ability on a Misawa Cram School's female student, who was damaged due to the use of the Gregorian Chant Replica.
- When Mikoto pulled the bench Touma, Index, Birdway and Lessar were sitting on over a river with electromagnetism, Touma was reminded of the bicycle scene from E.T. The Extraterrestrial.
- When describing the consequences of TV station falling into the wrong hands, the example used involves a news-style drama broadcast by an American radio station resulting in a mass panic, likely referring to the 1938 radio adaptation of The War of the Worlds.
- During the December heat wave, when climbing out of the septic tank in the School District 7 Water Department after collecting the cultivating mud containing the water purification microbes, Touma feels as though he'd grabbed the spider thread dangling down into hell - a reference to the short story The Spider's Thread.
- While comparing the function of Divine Mixture Isis-Demeter to that of a transformer, Othinus clarifies to Touma that she means the electrical kind rather than transforming robots, referring to Transformers.
- When Aleister Crowley mentions having been (or thought to have been) an agent for MI5, Touma is reminded of 'that handsome spy who travels the world in a black tuxedo' - a reference to James Bond.
- Rimea: Haimura notes that she looks like she would fit in with the Gotei 13, most likely referring to Nanao Ise.
- Carissa: Haimura mentions that from the beginning, he had an image for Carissa similar to Debora from the DS version of Dragon Quest V.
- Villian: According to Haimura, Villian was designed with an image similar to that of Tina (Terra in the English releases) of Final Fantasy VI or more specifically, her appearance in Dissidia Final Fantasy.
- AIM Burst: In designing the AIM Burst, Haimura was apparently aiming for something similar to Giygas from Mother 2 (Earthbound in English), something with no clear shape or form, something which couldn't be comprehended yet clearly something very bad.
- Cendrillon: Haimura notes that her design is based on a futuristic spacesuit, mentioning that it is the same motif as in Kamen Rider Fourze.
- Othinus: While describing the reason for Othinus's exposing outfit as her way of showing that her enemies' attacks and hostility mean nothing to her by casting aside any form of protection, Haimura compares it to how Dragon Shiryū is stronger without his Cloth.
- Freadia Strikers: Haimura says that she could be called a blonde-haired blue-eyed Betty Boop.
- Professor: Haimura comments that he kind of looks like Desty Nova from Battle Angel Alita.
- Kouzaku Mitori: Haimura comments that she is kind of like I-No from Guilty Gear or a schoolgirl Shiina Ringo-san.
- Misaka Mikoto (Level 6 Shift attempt): Haimura mentions he designed her forms with JRPG final bosses in mind, where they change forms at certain points. He specifically refers to Lavos Core, Ozma and Yu Yevon regarding Mikoto's third form.
- Kanou Shinka: Haimura mentions that his hooded jacket is based on the one Lain wears in her bedroom in Serial Experiments Lain.
- High Priest: Haimura mentions how the High Priest's first design is essentially Saint Hakushin from Inuyasha, the first thing the High Priest made him think of. According to Haimura, Version 2's motif goes with saying.
- Niang-Niang: According to Haimura, he based Niang-Niang of his generation's Jiangshi - Lei-Lei from the Vampire series, known to the English speakers as Hsien-Ko from the Darkstalkers series.
- Komaba Ritoku: According to Haimura, he designed him to look like someone from Fist of the North Star but apparently failed to accomplish it.
- Index Librorum Prohibitorum: In comments accompanying the design, Hamiura has remarked that the John's Pen remote control is somewhat reminiscent of the cryptex from The Da Vinci Code.
- Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers: In notes accompanying the final version of Mathers' design, Haimura remarked on how a cool villain (Vincent Volaju) from the Cowboy Bebop movie wore a similar attire (briefly, a witch's hat with his usual coat) for Halloween.
References to the Toaru series in other mediaEdit
This section requires expansion
- In Episode 1 of Mayoi Neko Overrun!, Misaka Mikoto and Kamijou Touma are shown on the Bus.
- In Episode 8 of Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi (Okami-san and her Seven Companions), another series animated by J.C.Staff, Misaka Mikoto, Shirai Kuroko, Uiharu Kazari and Saten Ruiko are briefly mentioned and shown, as potential bride candidates for rich boy Nezumi.
- In Episode 10 of Durarara!!, Erika and Walker argue over who the heroine of the series is, with Walker claiming it is Biribiri while Erika supports Himegami, while holding the first volume of the Railgun manga.
- In Episode 12 of Shakugan no Shana-tan, a parody series of Shakugan no Shana and another J.C.Staff series, two of Yuji's friends are seen wearing shirts with Mikoto and Index's faces on them.
- In Episode 1 of Durarara!! x2 Shou, Kadota asks Erika and Walker if there is a new installment of Toaru, to which Erika answers that there should be one in two months or so. Since the 12th Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index volume was going to be released on March 2015 and the episode was broadcast in January 2015, the conversation seems all the more accurate. In Episode 11, Walker has a lighter with an image of Tsukuyomi Komoe on it.
- In the ending credit of the Episode 10 of Himote House, protagonists cosplay Toaru Kagaku no Railgun characters. Hongo Tae cosplays Misaka Mikoto. Himote Kinami cosplays Shirai Kuroko. Himote Kokoro cosplays Uiharu Kazari. Arai Minamo cosplays Saten Ruiko. Himote Tokiyo cosplays Kiyama Harumi. Enishi cosplays Gekota.
- In Episode 11 of Eromanga Sensei, Izumi Masamune's father is reading 5th Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index volume. Later, ibid, a cover of Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 and Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 were featured in the background of bookstore.
- In Disgaea 4, Index, as drawn by Haimura Kiyotaka, appears in the animation for the spell Omega Heal.
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 01
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 1 Part 4
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 2 Part 7
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 08 Chapter 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12 Chapter 4 Part 3
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Chapter 1 Part 4
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Chapter 4 Part 9
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 1 Part 4
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Rainbow Spectrum
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Rainbow Spectrum, Index Volumes 16-22
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Rainbow Spectrum, Manga
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Rainbow Spectrum, NT Volumes 1-10
- ↑ Rainbow Spectrum, BD Extras
- ↑ Rainbow Spectrum, SS1-2
- ↑ Rainbow Spectrum, V21-22
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.