Frederick Leigh Gardner (フレデリック＝リー＝ガードナー Furederikku Rī Gādonā?) is a posthumous character introduced in Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Personality[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
At some point after his death, Frederick Leigh Gardner was reproduced along with other members of the Golden Dawn by Coronzon, through the application of Tarot-based grimoires, as part of her anti-Crowley countermeasures.
Chronology[edit | edit source]
Coronzon Arc[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Coronzon Arc
During the reproduced Golden Dawn's pursuit of the British Royal Family on the roads between London and Edinburgh, he was in the position of Stolistes in their collective high-speed ceremony and among those who took aim at Kamijou Touma during his clash with Mathers. When the Female Knight intervened, Gardner moved to intercept her, mostly likely to protect the Lady of the Masquerade Ball. Dispelling the knight's spear with the symbol of Mercury, he momentarily hesitated in suspicion and tension when she used an ordinary, non-magical crossbow, and she took the opportunity to have her mount Alex kick him, taking him out of the fight.
While he, Felkin and Brodie-Innes were catching up to rejoin the battle, Aleister managed to disrupt the flow of power to the reproductions' grimoire bodies, causing them to come apart and revert to cards.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
A user of Golden-style Magic like the rest of the cabal, Gardner wields a handheld oil lamp, which produce massive and illusionary flames. He was capable of carrying out his role in the formation for the Lady of the Masquerade Ball's usage of Taphthartharath.
Swinging his lamp, he can have the illusionary fire surrounding it grow and change shape to form a giant Symbol of Mercury - a symbol made up of a crescent moon, circle and cross, representing the Sephiroth with the exception of Keter. When using it against the Female Knight's light spear to protect the Lady of the Masquerade Ball, he spoke the following incantation; "Thou art the entire tree except Keter. Thou art the pillar of Mercury. Aim for the head and eliminate all wicked thoughts. Offer victory unto my lady!!" The symbol then shattered and a light flashed, causing the knight's eyes to dilate unnaturally and the spear to shatter.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In real life, Frederick Leigh Gardner was a member of the Golden Dawn, as well as the Freemasons, S.R.I.A. and the Theosophical Society. In 1896, he apparently participated in a ritual led by Florence Farr in an attempt to invoke Taphthartharath, along with Charles Rosher and Allan Bennett.
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 1 Part 8
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 3 Part 16
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 4 Part 7
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 2 Part 7
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 3 Part 1
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 1 Part 1
|Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers||William Wynn Westcott||William Robert Woodman|
|Mina Mathers||Dion Fortune