In the aftermath of the Elements and the abnormal heat wave, Academy City has entered into a restoration period. Following a battle under the Windowless Building, Kamisato Kakeru was exiled by the World Rejecter and Kihara Yuiitsu used the possibility of losing the only way to save him to bind the Kamisato Faction, sending them to kill Kamijou Touma. With only Karasuma Fran not turning on him, Touma seeks a way to rescue Kamisato and break Yuiitsu's hold on the girls.
Background[edit | edit source]
Kamisato Faction and Kihara Yuiitsu[edit | edit source]
Due to the mortal injuries inflicted to Kihara Noukan on the night of December 3rd, Kihara Yuiitsu sought revenge on Kamisato Kakeru. After devising a plan of action and gathering the necessary materials, Yuiitsu posed as Keshouin Asuka to get close to him and on the night of December 5th, severed his right hand in a sneak attack. Seizing control of World Rejecter, Yuiitsu fought against Kamijou Touma, Salome, Misaka Mikoto and several members of the Kamisato Faction, while others tended to Kamisato. This battle ended when Mikoto accidentally came into contact with Noukan's Anti-Art Attachment and seeing Touma in danger, used it against Yuiitsu.
After being blown away and repairing herself with Sample Shoggoth, Yuiitsu turned her hand towards the Windowless Building and was subsequently confronted by Aleister Crowley. With the contact between Mikoto and the Anti-Art Attachment creating a new threat in addition to Kamisato Kakeru, Aleister told Yuiitsu that she would deal with one of the two and he would deal with the other.
Following this initial confrontation, the Kamisato Faction went underground while planning their counterattack. In order to lure them out, Yuiitsu unleashed the Elements on the city. On learning that they were slowed by high temperatures, Karasuma Fran used her space station, the Bunny Grey Messenger, to flood the city in microwaves and create an artificial heat wave. During the heat wave, the Kamisato Faction occupied the White Springs Shopping Center. On December 9th, the Kamisato Faction, accompanied by Touma, marched to the Windowless Building and confronted Yuiitsu below it. They eventually defeated Yuiitsu but her last gambit with the building's rocket boosters forced Kamisato to use World Rejecter with conflicting desires in order to protect the others, resulting in him being exiled by it.
Afterwards, Yuiitsu reclaimed the World Rejecter and dangled the possibility of the World Rejecter being the only means to recover Kamisato in front of the distraught Kamisato Faction. Using the threat of this possibility being lost should they act against her, Yuiitsu forced the Kamisato Faction to follow her commands and ordered them to kill Touma. At same time, Yuiitsu intended to use the Kamisato Faction in an experiment to transplant and spread her thought patterns to society, as part of her promise to surpass Noukan and become a truly unique Kihara.
While reluctant to follow Yuiitsu's commands, the Kamisato Faction didn't want to risk losing what they thought was the one hope of saving Kamisato, and pursued Touma with intent to kill. The only one not to do so was Karasuma Fran. Presenting herself as a Gemstone who got her powers as the result of an implant from a UFO, Fran was actually a Magician from the Anglican Church, planted in the Kamisato Faction in order to manipulate Kamisato Kakeru on behalf of Laura Stuart, though she had come to love the boy as much as the rest of them.
Academy City[edit | edit source]
Academy City was heavily damaged by the combination of the Elements and the intense heat wave exceeding 55 degrees. The heat knocked out the city's infrastructure; power, water, gas and information, as well as most of the electronics. With the internet, phones and other information infrastructures offline, communication was severely limited. Due to the heat knocking out electronics, most vehicles within the city were immobilized and with surfaces in the open heated up, together with the threat of the Elements lurking in the cooler area, travel was also heavily restricted.
During an expedition to destroy the Crystal Tower on December 8th, believed to be the control point for the Elements but actually a lure to identify threats, Tokiwadai Middle School and School Garden suffered severe damage from an Element assault led by Yuiitsu, with particular focus on the hangar housing Misaka Mikoto's Anti-Art Attachment. In the aftermath, people came in from outside School Garden and took advantage of the defenders' injuries and exhaustion to loot the school. The student body was subsequently moved to Heaven Canceller's Hospital, designated shelter Hospital.
Following the final confrontation beneath the Windowless Building, Yuiitsu had the Elements self-destruct, leaving piles of white sand-like particles across the city. With the end of the heat wave and the Elements on the morning of December 9th, Useful Spider mobilized from their base under an observatory in School District 21 in order to rebuild the city - beginning 48 Hours to Restore Order (秩序回復の四八時間 Chitsujo Kaifuku no Shi Hachi-jikan?).
During the heat wave and Element infestation, many shelters were set up by residents and refugees across Academy City. Many of the shelters developed their own set of rules, and a number of these shelters received names, consisting of a term relating to their location or how they were run, which they were referred to during the crisis and the recovery period afterwards. These named shelters included:
|School District 7||Set up in a District 7 park, formerly planned to be the site for the Kigurumi Rock Festival which was due to be held on the day the Elements first appeared.[Notes 1]
The shelter's ruler was a middle-aged man in a work uniform, forced into the role. Once the crisis was past, the residents turned on him and would have executed him if not for Touma. He was later killed by Aleister.
|School District 5||The largest shelter in District 5, housed in a college building made into a fortress with barricades, with more college students than middle and high school students. In the center of the shelter, anonymous theories are pinned to a bulletin board, with the ones chosen as best determining the use of water and resources.|
|School District 7||A shelter located inside a resort hotel in District 7, with focus on all three necessities; food, shelter and clothing. The influence a person has is determined by the amount of charity given to others (with receiving help from others reducing influence, leading some to keep a low profile and avoid others' kindness).|
|N/A||One of the shelters infiltrated by the Kamisato Faction on December 9th. More than half of everything at Health is apparently about invisible jinxes and the occult.|
|N/A||One of the shelters infiltrated by the Kamisato Faction on December 9th.|
|Journalism (報道 Hōdō?)||N/A||A shelter run by a triumvirate. Journalism was one of the shelters infiltrated by the Kamisato Faction on December 9th, with Milcah overseeing it. They tried to surreptitiously investigate the solar activity rumor, leading Maya to apply external pressure and spread half-truths to the people to cause the rulers' control to break down.|
|Show Business (芸能 Geinō?)||School District 7||A shelter located in a large boxy fitness gym. Show Business generally decides things by majority rule but rather than one vote per person, a person has as many votes as they have fans, which also determines their class (including "regular", "center", "national" and "backup dancer"). This is likely due to the original school being focused on song and dance.
The shelter's ruler is a tall cross-dressing girl wearing a naval coat with golden embroidery, with an androgynous look and an unknown esper ability.
|Hospital||School District 7||A shelter based in Heaven Canceller's Hospital, which was safe from the Elements due to Heaven Canceller's efforts, and housed the students displaced from Tokiwadai Middle School following Yuiitsu's attack.|
|A shelter located near the boundary between School District 11 and District 7. It was attacked by Useful Spider with the Breath of Blessing during Stage 3 of the '48 Hours to Restore Order'. The ruler and their aides sent the others to battle, wielding large water guns with pressurized pumps filled with oil or alcohol and ignited through Pyrokinesis, while they made their escape.
One of the shelters' residents was an asthmatic girl with Level 3 Pyrokinesis, used as an ignition source for their fighting force, and her elder brother.
New World[edit | edit source]
After being exiled to the spare regions of the timeline by the World Rejecter, the Magic Gods of the true Gremlin, though not pleased at being done in by a human, found that the new world was not a bad home for them. In particular, the fact that actions in the new world have no effect on the regular world and all damage to it is undone when it is updated at midnight to match with the regular world, allowed the Magic Gods to act freely, which they hadn't been able to do before due to concern about the damage they could cause to the world and its inhabitants.
Chronology[edit | edit source]
December 9th[edit | edit source]
December 10th[edit | edit source]
December 11th[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- There are a number of dating discrepancies between volumes taking place during December. In Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 16 and Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 17, there are several references to the rapid onset of the heat wave and the Elements occurring on December 4th. This directly contradicts the events of Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 15 and the previous two volumes. This article and the Unified Story Timeline proceed on the assumption that the references to December 4th in Volumes 16 and 17 are erroneous.
References[edit | edit source]
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Prologue
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Epilogue
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 3 Part 12
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 4
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Epilogue
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Chapter 3
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Chapter 4
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Epilogue
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 3 Part 4
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 3 Part 10
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Prologue
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 2 Part 10
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 2 Part 12
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 1 Part 4
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 1 Part 5
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 2 Part 4
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 1 Part 6
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 1 Part 7
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 3 Part 3
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 2 Part 2
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 3 Part 1
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 2 Part 9
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 3 Part 2
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 1
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 2
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 3
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 4