A Magic God (魔神 Majin?, lit. "Magic God", Yen Press: Demon God), sometimes referred to in the longer form God of Magic (魔術の神 Majutsu no Kami?), is a Magic side term used to refer to a being who has mastered magic, can bend all things in the world without exception through magic, something that transcends normal magic and steps into the realm of God, a Magic God. According to Silvia, the power of a Magic God is even more troublesome than a great number of grimoires. With such an interesting prospect, many magic organizations, seek and fear the Magic God.
The term Majin can be translated in several ways, including 'Magic God' and 'Demon God'. As described in the narrative, and by characters such as Silvia, in this case 'Majin' doesn't refer to a god of the demon world but to one who has mastered magic to the extent of transcending normal magic and stepping into the realm of god, a Magic God.
Being a Magic God is akin to being the purest, most perfect existence that encompasses every possibility. However, because of this, the Magic God can also control both positive and negative possibilities. In essence, the Magic God has an equal chance of attaining the possibility of succeeding as well as failing, making everything relating to the Magic God's magic a 50/50 shot. This comes from the principle of the Omnipotence Paradox, which asks "if an omnipotent being can do anything, can it deny itself?"; i.e: could an omnipotent being create a rock it can't lift?
Moreover, this state in which a Magic God steps into a realm of God, is compared to the Science Side's Level 6 by Kamijou Touma, a comparison that is not wholly farfetched as Level 6 requires a person to attain a body that can allow the person to understand the will of the heavens.
According to Othinus, in order to reach Magic Godhood, a magician has to master a path of magic until they reach the very end, so there can be multiple Magic Gods who each have mastered a different path like Norse Mythology, Indian Mythology, Buddhism, Greek Mythology, Maya Mythology, Voodoo, Shinto, Shugendō. Additionally, to become a Magic God a magician needs to perform a special ritual. The details of the ritual are unclear and appear to vary from Magic God to Magic God, but they apparently require the magician to kill themselves or die in some way, as Othinus had to hang herself as part of her ritual, the High Priest became a Magic God through self-mummification and the people that made Nephthys died to create her. Additionally, Leivinia Birdway mentioned that as Magic Gods, Othinus and Nephthys had to have been willing to kill themselves for their ceremony.
There is also the possibility of being an impure Magic God, meaning that the magician seeking to become a Magic God stopped their growth right when they should have become one. Because of that, the impure Magic God's overall powers are weaker, but there is no 50/50 restriction like a pure Magic God.
- Othinus is the one who later attained the legendary title of Magic God from Ollerus, which Ollerus proclaims to have been stolen from him, making her one of the most powerful beings in the Toaru Majutsu no Index storyline. It is later revealed she had been a Magic God a long time ago before she relinquished her powers. After finally unifying her infinite possibilities, she uses her powers to call upon Gungnir and destroy the world.. After the events of Volume 10 of New Testament, Othinus has lost practically the totality of her powers and now is about 15cm tall..
- All members of Gremlin:
- High Priest, a Japanese Buddhist mummy who became a Magic God after his attempt to become a Buddha in a single generation was sabotaged.
- Nephthys, an Egyptian mummy born of thousands of servants buried together with the pharaoh pooling together all the pieces of knowledge they possessed and they could find in the pyramid.
- Niang-Niang, a Chinese Shijie-Xian.
- Zombie, a voodoo zombie.
- Nuada, a man with a silver prosthetic arm.
- Proserpina, the Roman goddess of the underworld.
- Tezcatlipoca, a god of Aztec Mythology.
- Forgotten God, the god who inspired the Cthulhu Mythos.
- Other unnamed members.
- Index is the first character mentioned of being capable of being a Magic God, with her having the 103,000 grimoires and is apparently immune to their poisonous nature. However, out of fear of having Index rebel and becoming a Magic God, the Church has made provisions to disable her from using any spell by cutting off her mana. However, Index can still display some of the potential of a Magic God's power when her John's Pen mode is activated, here, she shows tremendous power and can apparently use any spell from the grimoires, although her full potential have yet to be seen due to John's Pen Mode's restrictive thought process, and appears only in certain conditions, such as when John's Pen Mode's remote control is used.
- Ollerus is the person that was supposed to have been closest in becoming a Magic God that comes only once in 10,000 years but had let it slip through his fingers, when trying to save a kitten. Ollerus wields incredible power enough for him to be wanted by the entire magic side, and crushed all of his pursuers easily. Ollerus is an example of an impure Magic God, yet he can still wield that power. Unlike Othinus, who is a perfect and pure Magic God, Ollerus is an impure Magic God.
- Sigyn is hinted to theoretically have the potential to reach the realm of being a Magic God. If she was able to use her suggestion ability on herself, as her suggestions can make anyone succeed at 100% accuracy, she would be perfect. However, she cannot do it, since her nature is to give what she has to others to make up for what they lack. If she tried to be perfect herself, she wouldn't be able to make up for what she lacks.
- All Magic Gods and valid Magic God candidates shown in the story have green eyes. The only exception to this is Nephthys, who as is mentioned in the novels and seen in the illustrations, uses her powers to change eye colors at a whim. However, she does have green teardrop tattoos below her eyelids.
- Many of the Magic Gods who have appeared within the series and their mythological equivalents have links to death and to sacrifice or loss.
- Othinus sacrificed her right eye and hung herself from a tree to obtain power of a Magic God. She is capable of raising the dead as Einherjars.
- The High Priest sacrificed his life through self-mummification, becoming a Magic God rather than an enlightened Buddha due to sabotage, and is linked to the dirt of the earth in which he starved.
- Nephthys was born from a group of servants who were buried together with a pharaoh in his tomb and perished. Her mythological counterpart was associated with funerary rites and mourning for Osiris, whom the late pharaoh represented.
- Niang-Niang is described as a Shijie-Xian. Described in the Baopuzi, a Shijie-Xian is one who has attained a low form of immortality by faking their death by substituting an enchanted object for their corpse, cutting their ties with family and moving far away, as well as performing a rite to protect themselves from heavenly retribution, allowing them to live out their entire allotted lifespan (minus an amount for misdeeds they've committed) while avoiding agents of death.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 Chapter 1 Part 4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 2 Part 4
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 2 Part 2
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume SS2 Chapter 7
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Proclamation of Armistice.
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 Chapter 1 Part 5
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04 Profound Destruction
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 13
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12 Chapter 2 Part 8
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Chapter 2 Part 10
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 08 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Epilogue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12 Prologue
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13/Epilogue
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 3 Part 4
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume SS2 Chapter 21
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04 Sub.18
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Prologue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 06 Chapter 8 Part 4
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04 Sub.14
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Chapter 3 Part 13
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Between the Lines 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Prologue