Misaka 8912 (ミサカ8912号 Misaka Hassen Kyūhyaku Jūni-gō?) was a Sister, a clone of Misaka Mikoto, that appeared numberless in the original Toaru Kagaku no Railgun manga, but appears in the anime adaptation with a serial number. She is the 8912th clone to be produced and killed by Accelerator for the Level 6 Shift Project. In all versions she is the clone that proves to Nunotaba Shinobu that clones are indeed human.
She looks the same as Mikoto, although for emphasis, her eyes are drawn in a different way. Like all Sisters, Misaka 8912 wears Tokiwadai Middle School's uniform, goggles, and blue-striped panties. Misaka 8912 wears the Tokiwadai winter uniform in her appearance, indicating that the first outdoor experiment for the Level 6 Shift Project occurs sometime in autumn.
She has the same personality as most clones, with emotions that have been suppressed as they weren't beneficial to the experiment. She has certain curiosity for things, and in her asking Nunotaba Shinobu for her milk tea later instills the clones fondness for the drink. Her curiosity and the emotions she felt upon experiencing the outside world for the first time pushes Shinobu to the realization that the clones truly are human.
Not much is known about her, though as a clone she was most likely produced a few months prior to her introduction in the story, and died during the course of the 8912th battle with Accelerator. In the anime version, she has knowledge of the taste of tea from Testament though has not actually experienced tasting one.
Toaru Kagaku no RailgunEdit
- Main article: Sisters Arc
She is the first clone designated to be used for the outside portion of the Level 6 Shift Project. Not knowing what the outside world feels like she asks Shinobu, who is minding her, if the air outside is bitter or sweet, preferring if it was the former. Shinobu tells her that she will understand once they get outside. There, Shinobu asks her if she is disappointed, to which Misaka 8912 responds, describing the feeling of being outside for the first time. This surprisingly human response was the turning point in her relationship with the clones, causing her to be unable to see them as guinea pigs anymore. Shinobu later tells Mikoto that this event made her realize that they are far more human than she is.
In the anime version, she replaces Misaka 9982 as the clone who tastes tea for the first time. Shinobu gives her tea that surprises her as it is not the one she knows from Testament, to which Shinobu says that it is milk tea, her preferred version of tea. Shinobu notes that Misaka 8912 hasn't developed any emotions whatsoever, but instead carries a collection of shared memories with the other Misaka clones as pure information. She continues by saying that now with the Misaka Network, the other clones will now know the taste of milk tea. Shinobu marvels at the Misaka Network, but Misaka 8912 interjects that it is also thanks to Testament, a creation of Shinobu. She remarks that this is how the clones emotions are programmed--through encoding emotions as semantic information and recording them as data. Misaka 8912 remarks that this is the reason why they can participate in the experiments without hesitation. Events later unfold similarly to the manga.
Despite Shinobu's epiphany, Misaka 8912, the first Sister to see the outside world, falls at the hands of Accelerator.
Like all the Sisters, her ability is known as Radio Noise (
- Military training: Included in the information that was transferred with the Testament machines, like the other Sisters, she is proficient in combat methods such as the aforementioned use of specific weapons, can track targets, and shake off pursuers.
- Weapons & Gear: She wears a special set of goggles that enables her to see electron beams and magnetic field lines, which like all the Sisters she cannot perceive without aid. She also uses a F2000R Toy Soldier and a Metal Eater MX, and is capable using any weapon the other Sisters have used.
- (In Railgun S episode 6) "A multitude of scents stimulates the nostrils, satisfying the chest. An uneven wind ruffles my hair and blows around my body. The sun's light pours over on my skin; I can feel it warming my cheeks. I didn't know the world was such a wonderful place."
- (In Railgun Manga chapter 25) "A multitude of scents stimulates the nostrils, satisfying the chest, an uneven wind blows, teasing the hair and blowing against the entire body. The sun's light pours over your skin; you can feel the heat on your cheeks. So the outside world was this bright..."