Numerology is the study of numerical values in the letters of words, names and ideas, and the belief in mystical relationships between numbers and coinciding events.
In Toaru Majutsu no Index, certain numerological aspects are connected to various forms of Magic.
This section requires expansion
Role in magic
In various traditions across the world, certain numbers have been given certain meanings. These meanings, representation and symbolism, can be utilized in and affect magic in certain ways.
Gematria (ゲマトリア Gematoria?) is a code system used in Kabbalah and other fields, which assigns numerical values to Hebrew characters and words made from them, with various meanings derived from these values.
The twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet (which are also associated with the paths of the Sephiroth) are each assigned an initial numerical value. For a word made up of these characters, the respective numbers of its components are used to calculate the word's number. For characters and combinations with a multiple-digit value, the digits are added together to produce a single-digit number (e.g. for 300, 3+0+0=3). For example, a combination of Mem and Shin (40 + 300), with each digit split out separately and summed together, the result comes out as a 7. If the result of the sum is a multiple-digit value, the process is repeated with the digits of this value until a single-digit number is left (e.g. for 390=300+90, 3+9+0=3+9=12, then for 12, 1+2=3).
Two words with the same number are considered to have the same meaning. However, a result can have more than one meaning - they can be read simply as they are, or they can be read as a sum (e.g. Shin's numerical value is 300, which becomes 3 - this can be 3 (Gimel) or 1+2 (Aleph and Bet)). Depending on how it is broken down, the possibilities are endless, which has been noted as why a powerful grimoire can be a hotbed of misreadings.
Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Angel Fall ArcEdit
- Main article: Angel Fall Arc
Misha Kreutzev chants an incantation and forms several serpentine columns water taken from a nearby source to strike Kamijou Touma like a sword. The incantation uses Hebrew numerals, a number corresponds to a letter of the Hebrew alphabet.
Academy City Invasion ArcEdit
- Main article: Academy City Invasion Arc
Aspects of numerology were incorporated into the Pythagorean-derived Wooden Stake Magic which the Roman Catholic Church intended to use to skewer the residents of Academy City who had been rendered unconscious by Vento of the Front's Divine Punishment.
British Royal Family ArcEdit
- Main article: British Royal Family Arc
When Elizard explained to Kamijou Touma about the Curtana, it was mentioned that Henry VIII made use of the four nations of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland as part of one large nation in the spell he was constructing, in order to use the 'land' aspect symbolized by the number four.
World War III ArcEdit
- Main article: World War III Arc
When Fiamma of the Right uses the Star of Bethlehem to reset the distorted four elements as part of Project Bethlehem, he was referred to as monopolizing the numbers three and four, associated with the heavens and the earth, which were important numbers in Christian culture.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Aleister Crowley ArcEdit
- Main article: Aleister Crowley Arc
Processor Suit ArcEdit
- Main article: Processor Suit Arc
- Main article: Coronzon Arc
The final barrier of the England-Londinium Fortress was said to have been intentionally randomized, such that enemies cannot make fixed correspondence tables using Gematria and other similar methods to untangle it. Being composed of triple barriers of four different types, a combination of 3 and 4 just like the UK's combination of three factions and four regions, it was noted by Index to give physical repulsive force to the rules permeating the land and space, using aspects of national or regional character which work to distance outsiders.
During the events surrounding the Ceremony of Mo Athair, the Honours of Scotland (three regalia, together with the Stone of Scone) were noted to be another pair of 3 and 4, like the system behind the Curtana. The ten sides of the Queen Britannia's heliport temple were also noted to represent the ten Sephirah. Later, during the attack on the Queen Britannia, Qliphah Puzzle 545 realized her essence as a guide to the Abyss inherited from her creator, declaring her number to be the true 11, meaning 'the stepping stone of wickedness that supports good deeds'.
Souyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Christmas Day ArcEdit
- Main article: Christmas Day Arc
During the battle with Kamijou Touma and St. Germain on Christmas Day, Anna Sprengel made use of Gematria, in conjunction with the rose symbol with twenty-two petals corresponding to Hebrew characters, in order to determine the type of power that was formed within her right hand using Aiwass's power. The jewel store which the fight ended up in, one affected by R&C Occultics, was offering a December Gematria Special, converting customers' names to numbers free of charge to find gems for them.
Uses of Numerology within the storyEdit
- Gematria: An alphanumeric code for assigning numerical values to Hebrew or English word based on its letters, and a system of numerology.
- Misha Kreutzev used an incantation, which included both Hebrew characters and their respective numerical values, to form several serpentine columns water taken from a nearby source to strike a target like a a sword.
- Index refers to Gematria while discussing the intentional randomization of the England-Londinium Fortress's final barrier, which prevents people from untangling it via correspondence tables using Gematria and other similar methods.
- Anna Sprengel has made use of Gematria in the control mechanism for determining and switching between different powers formed within her right hand using Aiwass's power.
|#||Meanings and Associations||Usage in Toaru Majutsu no Index|
|3||Sky, the heavens||
|4||Land, the earth||
|10||The Sephirah||The ten sides of the Queen Britannia's heliport temple are meant to represent the ten conventional Sephirah, the spheres of the Sephiroth.|
|11||The Qliphoth, Da'at, the Abyss|
|93||Thelema, Aiwass||Aiwass's numerical value of 93, the same as Thelema, was referred to multiple times during the events on December 11th.|
|333||Coronzon, dispersion||The number 333 is repeatedly mentioned as Coronzon's numerical value and connected to its nature of dispersion.|
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Souyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 4 Part 4
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 Souyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 4 Part 6
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04 Chapter 1 Part 4
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Between the Lines 7
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 3 Part 4
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 8 Part 9
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 3 Part 9
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 19 Prologue
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 19 Between the Lines 4
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 2 Part 5
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 1 Part 5
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 12.2 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 3 Part 10
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 4 Part 11
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 4 Part 16
- ↑ Souyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 4 Part 3
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 1 Part 4
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 4 Part 12
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 4 Part 14