Recurrent Spontaneous PsychoKinesis Syndrome (RSPK Syndrome) (
Principles[edit | edit source]
Causes[edit | edit source]
Poltergeist (from German poltern, meaning "to rumble", "to make a noise" and Geist, meaning "ghost" or "spirit") is an alternative term for RSPK Syndrome. It is used because the phenomenon is similar to what people believe to be typical of a poltergeist. Examples include the unintentional movement of objects and an abnormal occurrence. In the Power Curriculum Program, various methods, such as medicine and suggestion, are used to separate one from reality; according to Tsukuyomi Komoe, RSPK Syndrome occurs when espers are unable to perceive reality properly due to emotional stress or trauma.
Interference on the AIM diffusion fields of espers can also cause simultaneous outbreaks of RSPK Syndrome to occur. Also when multiple overloaded espers (as with the case with Kiyama Harumi's students) with the same AIM diffusion fields are gathered together, their powers resonate and causes an occurrence of RSPK Syndrome.
Effects[edit | edit source]
Apart from the abnormal occurrence of moving objects (like teacups and dolls) and other similar unnatural events, a poltergeist can also cause earthquakes. Poltergeist earthquakes occurs when the abilities of multiple out of control espers converge on a large scale, from a human sensory perspective they are perceived as earthquakes. A large enough occurrence of poltergeist earthquakes can cause significant damage, and can seriously injure bystanders. In the worst case scenario, a city like Academy City could have 78% of its population be affected by a large enough occurrence of RSPK Syndrome.
Chronology[edit | edit source]
Toaru Majutsu no Index[edit | edit source]
Sisters Arc[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Sisters Arc
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun[edit | edit source]
Poltergeist Arc[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Poltergeist Arc
Due to Kiyama Harumi's attempts at reviving her comatose students and Haruue Erii constant attempts to telepatheically contact one of them, Edasaki Banri, sporadic occurrences of RSPK Syndrome occurred across Academy City, causing various amounts of damage. Because of these events, Judgment, Anti-Skill and Multi Active Rescue held a meeting on information about the recent earthquakes. With the help of Misaka Mikoto, Therestina Kihara Lifeline, the head of Multi Active Rescue was able to find Harumi and obtain custody of the children.
It was eventually revealed that Therestina is also the granddaughter of Kihara Gensei, the researcher who performed an experiment on analyzing the overloading of esper abilities on Harumi's students, and planned to continue his experiment on achieving SYSTEM or level 6, by using Harumi's students as well as Erii. This would cause an overload of their abilities, theoretically achieving SYSTEM, however it would cause the destruction of Academy City.
References[edit | edit source]
- Therestina's lecture on RSPK Syndrome from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 20
- Definition of Poltergeist in thefreedictionary.com
- Komoe's explanation of Personal Reality from Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 13
- Konori Mii's research on RSPK Syndrome, Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 20
- What happened to Kongou Mitsuko from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun 20
- Disaster in Nature Park from Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 21
- Shirai Kuroko's research on AIM Diffusion Field Resonance
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 03/Chapter 2; later adapted into Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 13
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 22
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 23
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 24