The term Railgun (
The AbilityClassified as Level 5, it is renowned as the strongest Electromaster-type ability in Academy City. This type of esper is known to have a maximum output of 1 billion volts, as well as the ability to observe and manipulate electric, magnetic, and electromagnetic fields with the unaided eye.
Offensive applications of this ability includes creating lightning spears and summoning real lightning, creating powerful electromagnetic pulses, and a chainsaw-like sword made of iron sand.
Defensive applications of this ability includes utilizing the user's AIM dispersion field in order to sense the surroundings. Because of this field, the user is also able to defend against telepathic manipulation.By manipulating electromagnetism, this type of esper can also move three dimensionally by running on walls and ceilings, as well as gather the objects made of metal (such as water pipes, manhole covers, billboards, and the like) from the surroundings in order to make a shield.
Aside from large-scale attacks that require obscene amounts of power, this ability is also capable performing minute operations that require great control. It is capable of reading and controlling electric signals, perform many forms of cracking such as releasing electronic locks and other kinds of security, stealing information from a credit card's magnetic strip, hacking databases with a simple portable terminal, remotely destroying research institute material by using an electronic network as a medium, and even stealing of the controls of a security robot for remote operation. Theoretically, this type of esper can also establish a circuit with another person in order to read the latter's memories.
By applying the formulas used in creating the iron sand sword, this esper becomes capable of flight if there is enough moisture in the air. By collecting water vapor in the air and using it to jumpstart an electrolysis chain reaction with a large body of water (like the sea), six blade-shaped wings of water. The water molecules in these wings are consumed in order to gain power similar to that of a rocket. It is also possible for this type of esper to float through narrow alleyways by manipulating magnetism.
The Signature Move
By forming the parallel currents on either side of her hand, the third-ranked Level 5 is able to fire a metal projectile at three times the speed of sound by utilizing the Lorentz force produced by the currents she created.
Her usual railgun has a muzzle velocity of 1030 m/s (2307.2 mph) and can be fired at a rate of 8 shots per minute. Her railgun is extremely accurate, only having a target deviation of 18.9 mm.She primarily uses arcade coins as her projectiles for portability, limiting her normal range to 50 meters. The destructive power of Misaka Mikoto's railgun is said to be so great that it cannot be measured without using a pool as a dampener in order to avoid destroying the test equipment (and possibly the school). Her range can be extended when she uses other objects (like iron sand) as the projectile instead.
- Main article: Misaka Mikoto
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 03 Chapter 1 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Manga Chapter 012
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Episode 10
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 1 Part 5
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 014
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 046
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 041
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 028
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 019
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 Chapter 2 Part 11
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 03 Chapter 2 Part 8
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 025
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 033
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun: Arts and Sciences City SS
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun OVA 01
- ↑ Toaru majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Prologue
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 001
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 01
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 08 Prologue
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 040
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Episode 24