Saints (聖人 Seijin?) are powerful people on the Magic Side, with less than 20 of them in the world. Their existence is also called 'Child of God'.
The theory behind their power is based on Idol Theory, where a replica of a more powerful being or item can also gain a tiny portion of the original's strength. Humans are said to be made in the image of God, and Saints are said to be a higher replica that can bring out more strength.
The special bodily characteristics that allow a Saint to draw out a portion of the Son of God's power are sometimes inaccurately referred to as Stigma (
Traits that most Saints have include superhuman physical strength, incredible speed, capable of channeling a larger amount of mana compared to normal magicians, and superhuman senses. Examples of superhuman senses are demonstrated many times in the novels, when it was stated Kanzaki have vision of 8.0 and Acqua of the Back can hear a whisper from over 10m away. Some Saints possess blood with special healing properties.
Due to their nature, Saints in general are weak to attacks that resemble how the Son of God was killed (being stabbed, a crown of Thorns, and the crucifix), though this weakness normally is inconsequential since most magicians don't have the power to exploit these weaknesses, and most saints are aware of this problem and take measure to prevent them being affected by the weakness.
The spell Saint Destroyer designed by the Amakusa Church aims to disrupt the balance of holy power and magic power inside a saint, and against a normal saint it only temporarily brings them down to levels like a normal human. In Amakusa's fight against Acqua of the Back, the Saint Destroyer made him self-destruct because he has too much power due to his role as one of the God's Right Seat as well.
It is also possible for a Saint to use up too much power, past the limits of the human body, and destroy themselves. This was demonstrated when Kanzaki Kaori fought Misha Kreutzev during the Angel Fall incident and was on the brink of over-exertion and death before Motoharu blasted the ritual location. Some Saints can also fall victim to their own power in other ways, such as meeting obstructions and failing sharp turns at supersonic speed without adequate protection.
There is a path which many Saints, such as Kanzaki Kaori and Brunhild Eiktobel, go down due to their nature. Being born with rare qualities, they are often on the receiving end of the darker side of human nature and this not only affects them but also the few people that have truly connected with them, who don't share these unique traits that allow them to survive most attacks against them. As a result, loved ones may be caught in a trap meant for the Saint and likely perish while they live on.
When this happens, the Saint wouldn't resign themselves to fate and give up - this feeling is strong in them because they are Saints, and thus possess characteristics similar to the Son of God, who in one story raised the dead, allowing them to use a portion of his power. Knowing this and the smiles of the people who cared about them, they would seriously think about detailed and absurd plans to miraculously save them, store up power and accurately carry them out, not giving up without trying - their actions opposing the image given by the word Saint.
In the end though, they all despair for none of these plans would work and no matter what the people whose minds and bodies were destroyed would never return to normal. In trying to bring their loved ones back, they lose sight of the simple fact that human life isn't such a simple thing. After wearing themselves down, trying everything and offering all they have, they fail, despair, then finally come to terms with the deaths of the ones they cared about.
These are the Saints seen or mentioned in the series thus far:
- Kanzaki Kaori
- William Orwell - Lost his Saint powers in World War III.
- Silvia - Higher rank than Brunhild.
- Brunhild Eiktobel - Lower rank than Silvia.
- Number Ten Saint (第10位の聖人?) - Not much is known of them, except that he/she has been continually flying through the sky for years.
- Meigo Arisa - Due to her strange existence, she was temporarily ranked as the ninth Saint, and it is speculated by Kanzaki that she could outclass her if her powers awaken. It is likely her Saint rank is stripped after she merges back with Shutaura Sequenzia.
- Pantagruel - The antagonist of the Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble game temporarily made himself into a Saint using his spell. He inputted Kanzaki's body parameters into his own body in order to gain the "parameters" of being a Saint. As a result, he gains the speed equal to that of a Saint like Kanzaki.
These are some of the historical figures who have held the title 'Saint'. The stories surrounding them form the basis for various spells in the series.
|Saint||Description||Spell or Magic Item||Introduction|
|Virgin Mary||Mother of the Son of God, Queen of All Saints, patroness of the United States, France, and many more countries.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 4 Part 6|
|St. Peter||One of the twelve apostles of the Son of God and first Pope||
||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 4 Part 7|
|St. Andrew||Apostle of the Son of God and the brother of St. Peter.||St. Andrew's Cross||Toaru Majutsu no Index Radio Drama Chapter 2|
|St. George||Roman army officer and patron saint of England.||
||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 4|
|Saint Blaise||Bishop of Sebaste (modern-day Sivas, Turkey) and martyr. Usually invoked against throat diseases.||
||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Between the Lines 1|
|Saint Catherine of Alexandria||Patron of unmarried girls, apologists, and craftsmen who work on a wheel such as potters and spinners. Legend has it that she was executed by being put on a spiked breaking wheel.||The Legend of the Wheel: Wheel explodes attacking those deemed guilty.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 3 Part 1|
|Saint Matthew||Apostle of the Son of God, writer of one of the Four Gospels, and ex-tax collector.||Bags of the tax collector: The bags of gold act as projectiles representing the Four Elements.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 3 Part 1|
|Saint Giles||Patron of the poor and the disabled.||Divine Protection of Ægidius barrier||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 3 Part 4|
|Saint Martin of Tours||Roman soldier turned first bishop of Tours, France, after giving his cloak to Christ disguised as a beggar in the middle of winter. Patron of beggars, recovering alcoholics and horses.||Tsuchimikado recounts to Touma the story of how Saint Martin stood directly in the path of a felled sacred tree and how it miraculously missed him, converting the pagans present, to explain how the effects of the Croce di Pietro work to benefit the Roman Catholic Church.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 09 Chapter 4 Part 7|
|Saint Barbara||Patron saint of heavy artillery and artillerymen.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11 Chapter 3 Part 5|
|Saint Margaret the Virgin||Dragon slayer and patron saint of childbirth.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11 Chapter 3 Part 4|
|Saints Lucia and Christopher||Patron saint of the blind/Carried the Son of God across a river and patron saint of travellers||
||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 11 Chapter 3 Part 4|
|Jeanne d'Arc||French heroine of the Hundred Years' War.||Oracle of d'Arc||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16 Between The Lines 2|
|Saint Paul||Honorary apostle, one of the first missionaries and important founders of Christianity.||Ex Voto Emblem of the decapitated St. Paul to behead another.||Toaru Kagaku no Railgun SS2: Shopping Mall Demonstration Chapter 6 Part 7|
|Saint Stephen||The first Christian martyr.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 14 Epilogue (mentioned only)|
|Saint Nicholas||The original Santa Claus, patron saint of children, (repentant) thieves and of bankers, moneylenders, and financiers.||Nicholas Foundation||Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 02 Chapter 2 Part 2|
|Saint Agnes||Patron saint of girls, chastity, and rape victims.||Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 10 Part 3 (referenced only)|
|St. Julian||Martyred officer of the Roman army.||St. Julian was mentioned among examples of miracles calling down divine punishment and turning it against an enemy.|
|St. Vitus||Patron saint of dancers, actors, young people and dogs.|
|St. Agatha||Patron of Malta and San Marino, martyred for her faith by having her breasts cut off. She was then sentenced to be burnt at the stake, but an earthquake saved her from that fate.||The Agnese Forces made use of a fire protection spell, based on legends of St. Agatha.|
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Necessarius Special Admission Test Chapter 2 Part 8
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01 Chapter 2 Part 2
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Kanzaki Chapter 4
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 16
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 13 Chapter 2 Part 1
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Kanzaki Chapter 6
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 4 Part 6
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Kanzaki Chapter 8
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 04 Profound Destruction
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index: Miracle of Endymion - Dengeki PlayStation Interview with Kamachi Kazuma
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02 Chapter 4 Part 8
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index: Miracle of Endymion Manga Chapter 5
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 10 Part 3
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Prologue
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 21 Chapter 4 Part 2
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Agnese's Magic Side Work Experience Chapter 2 Part 8
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 1 Part 1
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 3 Part 10
- ↑ Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 20 Chapter 2 Part 7