Sogiita Gunha (削板 軍覇 Sogīta Gunha?) is the 7th ranked Level 5 esper in Academy City and the most powerful Gemstone esper. Despite being a Level 5, the underlying nature of his ability is unknown and defies the understanding of Academy City. His rank as the 7th may not be reflective of his true capabilities since no one truly understands his powers.
His full name can be translated as "Supremacy of the Military Court".
Gunha can easily be recognized by his modified white uniform. He wears his jacket over his shoulders as a make-shift cape similar to Musujime Awaki. He also wears a white headband on his forehead to match his overall style. But the most noticeable part of his ensemble is his Rising Sun shirt, which aptly matches his personality. His hair is black and is somewhat windswept and spiky.
His personality is not unlike Kamijou Touma's, though he is considered hot-blooded and dives into problems headfirst without considering the consequences, as shown through his encounters with both Ollerus and Mikoto, two instances where he misunderstood the intentions and situations.
He is also somewhat dense in certain situations, as shown in Toaru Jihanki no Fanfare. The first thing he says after catching Mikoto's Railgun (Shot with 1/3 of Mikoto's actual power) with his bare teeth is commenting that gaming tokens aren't supposed to be taken outside arcades, and that he'll go back with her to return it and apologize.
He also appears to have a habit of giving completely impossible explanations for the nature of his abilities. For example, his explanation for what he does when he executes Attack Crash is that he creates an unstable field of psychokinesis in front of him and destroys it by providing a stimulus from his fist, thus causing an explosive aftereffect for some distance, something which Haratani Yabumi, a student in the Power Development Curriculum's psychokinetics, says is impossible. He also explains his Aurora Guard as him gathering the Earth's magnetic field in his hand through telekinesis and using it to defend against electricity-based attacks, another impossible phenomenon.
Currently very little is known about Gunha's background, though it is confirmed that he is one of the few pure Gemstones in the world and is also the greatest among them so far.
Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume SS2Edit
- Main article: Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume SS2
The Third Friday of MarchEdit
On March 15, 8:10 PM, the day after White Day, on the current year of the timeline, Sogiita Gunha comes upon Skill-Outs mugging Harata Yabumi. Upon finding them, he suddenly shouts at the Skill-Out members, telling them that they lack guts. The thugs turn around and one of them shoots him, and he collapses to the ground. With even Yabumi thinking the queer turn of events has passed, the figure rises up, seemingly unharmed. He lectures them about shooting someone without warning and that the shooter lack guts, telling the shooter that he’s just a kid that throws a tantrum, easily. The shooter, confused, simply continues shooting at him, though he merely shakes and is not felled by the firing. Unsurprisingly, the shooter becomes angry, asking why he won’t die, to which he responds that it is because of guts again. The thug still unsatisfied, has Gunha finally reveal himself—SogiIta Gunha, the 7th-ranked Level 5 of Academy City. As he shouts this, he spread his arms wide, and multi-color explosions suddenly appear behind him. As Yabumi is dumbfounded by this spectacle, the Skill-Out whisper among themselves, wondering what to do, and stupidly concluded that since Gunha is the seventh of the seven, then he must be the weakest, therefore, Level 0s can handle him.
Gunha interjects, saying that the rankings are all a boring digression and that the important thing is guts. Before he can finish they try to gang up on him and try to attack him a variety of weapons. Despite the fact that none of their actions are working against him they keep on attacking. However, Gunha, finally irritated, retaliates against them, and an explosion is formed, throwing his attackers off their feet. He berates them for doing whatever they wanted the entire time, and says that he will now show them what true guts are. Despite getting all worked up, Gunha has defeated the thugs already.
Suddenly, from out of the darkness comes Yokosuka the Organ Crusher, the leader of the men Gunha just defeated. Yokosuka threatens Gunha for sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong, and says that he is an anti-esper battle. Before he can finish, Gunha farts, much to Yokosuka’s irritation. After remembering what he was trying to say, Yokosuka continues to threaten Gunha. However, before he can finish, Gunha once again interrupts and shouts Amazing Punch at him. As Yokosuka protests Gunha's rudeness, the punch connects despite being more than 10 meters away from him. Still conscious, Yokosuka asks what Gunha did, to which Gunha replies that what he did was the true worth of him being the 7th-ranked level 5. He explains to him that he can create an unstable wall of psychokinesis in front of him and destroy it with a stimulus provided by his own fist, which then causes it to send an explosive after-effect from a long distance. He then says that he calls his move Attack Crash.
Hearing all this, Yabumi finally speaks up, saying that what Gunha said is impossible. He tells him that applying a stimulus to a field of psychokinetic power shouldn't have that kind of reaction. He backs up his claim by saying that his chosen field of study is in psychokinesis. Both Gunha and Yokosuka are silenced by Yabumi’s claims. However, Gunha then lowers his gaze and clenched his fist, asking what he did and how he did it. Yokosuka says that what he is currently doing is a half-assed way of treating his special move, and that he should think about the people who were taken out by it feels. Yokosuka then complains but is silenced by Gunha using Amazing punch on him again, making him fly into the air.
Seeing this, Yabumi cannot feel happy about being saved. Yokosuka tries to stand up to Gunha again but his legs were shaking, though impressed by Gunha. Although Yokusukua doesn't have the strength left to fight or even run away, he looks up to Gunha’s face and tells him, with a smile, that Gunha should at least finish the fight with some extraordinary attack unlike the boring sounding Amazing Punch, something that can be worth losing to. Despite this, Gunha just uses Amazing Punch on him again.
The Second Friday of OctoberEdit
At the height of the simultaneous rescue mission of the 50 Gemstone children conducted by the Sisters around the world, Ollerus intrudes into Academy City and faces off against Misaka 10032 and the other Sisters that have come to contend against him, easily beating them. Sogiita Gunha sees this, unconcerned that the girls are clones, and remarks on how Ollerus has no guts for beating up the girls. With a slight smile Ollerus says that he has his reasons, and turns toward Gunha. He says that he has no problem if Academy City were to gather the Gemstones in the world, but he is concerned that they will be used for some kind of research. Ollerus clarifies that through using a show of force by defeating Gunha, he can convince a certain person not to do anything to the Gemstones they invited lest they face his wrath.
Hearing this, Gunha notes that Ollerus' words have guts to it, praising him for his actions and his spirit with quite a bit of guts. Gunha, however, tells him that though he doesn't know who the girls Ollerus' just beat are, but they still put up a fight full of guts. He says that though that they may have even been fighting to protect him, someone they had never even spoken to. Gunha concludes that he has no reason to risk his life here, but he will show him some guts, and that he will crush him.
There, Gunha charges toward the nonchalant Ollerus. Gunha grabs Ollerus's face and throws his body against the nearby wall of containers at twice the speed of sound. After his body crashes on the containers, Gunha notes that his guts may be rotten, but he still shows some warped guts. There, Ollerus shows that he is still alive and says to Gunha that he has no guts. Walking slowly toward Gunha without even a scratch, he then says that he has his reasons and that unlike Gunha he has a reason to fight. Gunha does not respond and tries to approach Ollerus to attack once more. But Ollerus strikes back and Gunha is hurt by it, with his body receiving damage equally. So strong was the attack that Gunha falls to the ground.
Ollerus explains that the most fearsome attack in the world is an unexplainable power, as no matter what kind of mysterious power Gunha uses, if it is swung down the same as a sword then it can be stopped the same as a sword. Gunha tries to stand up, though Ollerus just watches him and uses another inexplicable attack, blowing Gunha away. Here, Olleru states that a truly unexplainable power cannot be dealt with the same way, saying that the most fearsome thing in the world is to be beaten by an unexplainable power, from an incomprehensible place, where one cannot create a counter measure. The attack is Ollerus' magic, the Hliðskjálf.
Ollerus tells Gunha that they are different, as he is aware that the wields an unexplainable power while Gunha doesn't. He refers to Gunha as a delicate yet complex esper that not even Academy City could do anything about. He tells him that he is such a special esper that the researchers aren't even sure to rank him as a Level 5. Here, he concludes that if Gunha only understood himself then he may be able to defeat him.
With that done. believing he has accomplished his goal in warning Academy City, Ollerus tries to leave. He tells Gunha that he did have a reason that he couldn't let himself lose, and tells Gunha to accept his defeat as it isn't a problem that can be dealt with using guts. Hearing, this Gunha says that his comment isn't something he will let go. Now Ollerus turns to face Gunha again as he stands with his body covered in wounds. This surprises Ollerus as Gunha should've fallen unconscious after taking two hits from the Hliðskjálf.
Here, Gunha tells Ollerus that he shouldn't treat people like they have no guts before they've give up. He boasts that he won't be beaten easily, telling Ollerus that guts aren't something one loses just because one is at a disadvantage.
Suddenly, an unknown power wraps around Gunha as he shouts that he will show Ollerus his true guts, someone who isn't twisted and rotted, regardless of being a stranger or not, that can stand up for some injured girls. With that, Gunha charges toward Ollerus again. Seeing this, Ollerus smiles and once again the Hliðskjálf clashes against Gunha. Ollerus later defeats Gunha, allowing him to make a show of force against Academy City.
Gunha later wakes up, still in School District 11 where his battle with Ollerus had transpired and left a mark on the area. However, instead of being disappointed or angered, Gunha is amazed by the power that Ollerus displayed, and notes that the world is filled with amazing people. Here, Gunha is aware that despite facing Ollerus with all his might, he knew Ollerus was just holding back, and spared his life.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Agitate Halation ArcEdit
- Main article: Agitate Halation Arc
Gunha makes a brief appearance during the riot of "heroes" in the Learning Core. Seemingly unaffected by Agitate Halation, Gunha is more concerned about the trees burning due to their riots and is apparently oblivious about Fremea Seivelun or the reason the "heroes" are rioting in the first place. He literally punches out the fires that is burning the trees with enough power to knock people nearby out. He is the one responsible for knocking out Fusou Ayame before Mugino Shizuri could attack her in earnest. He later warns the "heroes" that his method of saving lives is not something that they can withstand without any guts, warning them that if they want to run away they better do so now.
Magic God Othinus ArcEdit
- Main article: Magic God Othinus Arc
Later, as one of the seven Level 5s of Academy City, he is one of the recipients of the email giving an order to kill both Magic God Othinus and Kamijou Touma. Here, he merely cracks his neck and states that the message has no guts, wondering if it had come from an intellectual with no common sense. Gunha chooses not to obey the kill order.
Toaru Kagaku no RailgunEdit
Level Upper ArcEdit
- Main article: Level Upper Arc
Daihasei Festival ArcEdit
- Main article: Daihasei Festival Arc (Railgun)
The Daihasei Festival committee is looking for Level 5s for a demonstration. They go to Gunha's school, but he has been absent for a while. However, a teacher accepts the proposition, saying that he's the type of person that when asked something won't turn it down.Gunha makes his official debut during the opening of the Daihasei Festival, he speaks along with Shokuhou Misaki, but quickly overshadows her with his fiery speech. Since he didn't memorize the real speech and was going on guts alone, there was no coordination and he made things as he went on. He gives a show and shouts passionately about guts, prompting teachers to say he goofed it.
After seeing the lighting strikes caused by Mikoto's power boost, he decides to investigates the situation. He arrives just in time to save Kamijou Touma from being crushed by a large pile of magnetic controlled rubble, which he easily destroys. He then ignores Touma's explanation of the situation, as they continue to argue about what to do when Misaka fires a lighting blast at each of them. Both teens aren't bothered by the incoming attacks and stop them in their own ways, they then decide to stop their argument and work together to stop her. As their fight against Mikoto continues, she is becoming stronger due to her ongoing transformation. When Touma mentions that he wanted to get closer to Mikoto to check if he can negate her transformation, Sogiita says to leave it to him and uses Amazing Punch to create a path for him. He then proceeds to throw Touma at Mikoto and then catches him midair, Touma explains that he can't fully negate her transformation because she is constantly being sent more power and they can only hold Mikoto back while another person tries to stop her transformation. As she further transforms, Gunha asks what she is trying to do. As he ponders this he is stuck full on in the face by one of her attacks and is shot into a building. When Touma goes to check if he is okay, he jumps up and lands near Touma saying he is pathetic for letting his guard down and needs more guts or he will be in trouble while ignoring his bleeding head wound before resuming their fight against her.
As the battle continues, Gunha is later knocked out in the battle, pinned down by the strange ribbon things that Mikoto produces. Moreover, Mikoto's powers continue to increase. Later, after Kuroko is able to defeat Mitori, likewise Misaki defeating Gensei, there is now no one to control Mikoto's psyche and Exterior is no longer able to connect her to the Misaka Network, Mikoto's subconsciousness wakes up, but she has no control over her transformed body, meanwhile the great black sphere of energy continues to grow, and energy exudes from the ground. After she wakes, her surroundings that were previously black, slowly begin to crumble - however - at the same time, tendril like objects coming from the darkness form a hand and try to grab her, likely coercing her to continue to destroy Academy City. This likely represents the part of her that wants to destroy Academy City. Moreover, Mikoto describes it as not her power.
As the sphere continues to grow, Touma notices the change, and later explains it to Gunha who has regained consciousness and explains that Mikoto cannot suppress her power. Gunha tries to convince Touma, saying that the thing that hit him before was compressed energy, but the sphere now is made of something not of their world and cannot be understood. Gunha says that he should be able to stop it with a self-destruction technique, sacrificing himself. However, Touma convinces him that he will deal with it himself and that Gunha should cover him. Impressed by his “guts”, Gunha uses his power to “part” the black mass of energy that covers the ground where Mikoto is floating on, allowing Touma to approach her.
Meanwhile, Mikoto seeing that there is no way to stop the sphere, which she says now has the power to destroy more than the city, formulates a plan to compress it enough so that her body can cover the ensuing explosion. Mikoto then notices Touma coming towards the sphere and screams at him, saying that what he sees before him is not an esper power, and since it was brought about by her desire to destroy the parts of the city she doesn’t like, that she should be the one to stop it. It is implied that Touma heard all that Mikoto said to him. Touma then touches the sphere with his right hand, however the power is too great for his arm to bear and is torn from his body as a result.
At that moment, a dragon appears from where the right arm was ripped off, and then bites the sphere. It bites the black sphere and allows the seven other dragons to emerge from Touma's severed arm. The dragons viciously rip apart the black sphere and Mikoto’s transformation crumbles away. The halo cracks as well as the “starry sky” form of her head and chest as if it was dried paint chipping away. Touma then taps her head with his left fist. He says that, although he knows that there is a side of Academy City that is bad and is being controlled by important people that they can’t touch, even if she eliminated it by force he doubts that it would bring about the kind of world she wants. He says that he is sure that there are people other than him who are working to help her, and that they will help her change things bit by bit, including him. And Mikoto agrees with tears in her eyes. With that Touma gives her his jacket, as the dark skies part away to make for the blue sky.
Touma’s arm later regenerates, much to Mikoto’s surprise. Gunha bears witness to Touma's feat and says that he would like to battle Touma someday, amazed about the dragon that has appeared. He and the others then notice the metal that has appeared on the ground.
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Gaiden: Astral BuddyEdit
After Hokaze Junko overused her Rampage Dress agianst Houjou Arei, as Junko falls unconscious, she tells Yuuri Senya to handle the rest. Rubble falls from the damaged roof towards Junko, before Senya could do anything, the rubble is blown away by newly arrived Gunha who used his Amazing Punch. Gunha later comes to the hospital roof, where Junko and Senya was there. Gunha asks if she was okay and Junko thanked Gunha for saving her. He continues it by saying that a violent Tokiwadai student hired a comany and he says it was Junko that hired the company. Gunha then, charges up and attack towards Junko.
Gunha chases Junko who was running away from Gunha by jumping on building roofs. Gunha throws light jabs with an ease, which shocks Junko. Junko hits Gunha on the face, and as he scrapes on building, he says that he can stop the bleeding with little guts and throws two quick punches towards Junko. After Junko barely dodged Gunha's attack, Senya asks Junko to use her destructive power. Junko then, grabs onto Gunha's arm, then spins and drops him from the air. However, Gunha kicks the air, and then started to jump on the air. He throws another sudden punch, which Junko barely dodges again. Junko then lands on a building roof, but is soon followed by Gunha's Amazing Punch. Junko rolls and avoids his attack and starts panic as Gunha's destructive power shows the strength of a Level 5. However, Senya goes into her body as she believes that Level 5 is just a title that adults gave. With the help of Senya, Gunha and Junko once again clashes.
Both Gunha and Junko jumps from building to building, until they face each other on a building roof. Both of them run into each other and Junko hits Gunha on the face while Gunha misses the punch. Despite a direct hit, Gunha takes no damage and pushes Junko back. Two of them once again jumps onto another building roof. However, this time it was Junko who was doing the attack. As Gunha was ready to guard, Junko swerves, which leaves surprised Gunha and hits him with an upper cut. This still didn't knock him out as he grins, he throws a punch that was swiftly dodged by Junko. Meanwhile, Senya was thinking about how he is able to take multiple hits and taking no damage. Senya theorized that Gunha was strengthening himself with some kind of key. She believes that power of delusions are source of his power as guts are strengthening his personal reality. When Junko was about to hit Gunha, he purposely allowed himself to get hit on the forehead. As he was about to reach out to Junko, a sudden electricity zapped him and he was shocked and surprised. Junko was perplexed about the sudden event and Senya was right about how an attack works if its beyond his delusions. With Gunha learning about Junko is able to use electricity, he puts his hand together and started to shake it real hard to cause an electricity. As Gunha was about to throw a new attack, he warns Junko that he won't hold back and if she wants to, she can run away. Senya asks Junko to put her hand out tells Junko to believe her. Gunha throws an upgraded version of Amazing Punch and Senya tells Junko to picture power surging through her body's surface. This allows Junko to dodge the attack and throws a devastating blow of upper cut. This leaves Gunha unconscious, or that's what Senya thought as Gunha gets up straight away. Similar to last time, Gunha gets into a position and started to charge his powers. This caused the surrounding area to rumble and the roof tiles started to float up. As Gunha was about to unleash his attack, he is interrupted by rather annoyed Shokuhou Misaki and Shirai Kuroko, who teleported to where Gunha and Junko is.After Gunha was affected by Misaki's Mental Out, as soon as Misaki explained how they were able to locate the fighting scene, Gunha was able to snap out of Mental Out along with shattering sound. When Misaki was surprised by Gunha able to snap out of Mental Out, he replies to her by saying his guts allowed him to do that. This brings a tension between the two Level 5's with Misaki threatening Gunha with more stronger attack. This was interrupted by Junko as says that when Gunha sent a shockwave to Junko, she knew it wasn't meant for her and he wasn't serious with any of his attacks. Junko backs it up with all of Gunha's clean hits were slaps instead of a punch. Gunha replied by saying that hitting would've been too far and Misaki yells at him because he should've never gone with full fighting mode. However, Junko tells Gunha that you can learn something by fighting someone and both of them gives each other a fist bump that causes Misaki to pout. Misaki slides in and tells Gunha not to make eyes at Junko. This leaves Gunha perplexed as he mentions that Junko's eyes glowed with guts and Junko tells Misaki that her eyes are the one that changes colour. After Misaki takes Junko away, Kuroko goes to Gunha and asks him some question. When Misaki asks if Junko is okay, she replies to her saying that she feels like a burden lifted from her heart. As soon as Junko finished her sentence, a negative aura things came out of Junko and Misaki's body. This causes a wind and Gunha looks towards the negative energy, hinting that he is able to see the mysterious phenomenon.
Toaru Jihanki no FanfareEdit
- Main article: Toaru Jihanki no Fanfare
He appears in the Railgun Sidestory where Shirai Kuroko thinks he's bullying students--which isn't the case--and has a brief skirmish with her. They stop when they see Kihara Nayuta and Misaka Mikoto fighting near Vending Machine 7116, and both rush to the scene. Gunha steps in and ruins the fight, and prompts Mikoto's anger after saying a few dumb things. They test each other's mettle, where Gunha demonstrates that he is able to catch her Railgun at 30% power in between his teeth. He also managed to withstand various attacks like twin chainsaw-like swords of iron sand and a lightning strike from the sky Mikoto used to attack him. In the end, the Tokiwadai Dorm Supervisor arrives and snaps Mikoto's neck, and warns Gunha to move along, sending shivers up his spine.
His ability displays a variety of effects, which may be the reason why Academy City cannot fully comprehend it. Even the renowned Kihara Family was said to be unable to analyze it and even to understand if there were valuable AIM diffusion fields to be made use of. Ollerus has said that if Gunha were to understand his own ability, he could have been able to beat him, hinting that Gunha's true potential has not been unlocked yet. There are parallels between his incomprehensible powers and the way a Magic God's powers work. Kihara Nayuta, who can see AIM fields, has said the AIM around Gunha bends and twists in an unstable way, even when he's not doing anything notable. Haratani Yabumi said to Kuroko, regarding Gunha's powers: "What you saw was all just an illusion. It would be better for your mental health if you think of it like that. Maybe..."
The abilities he has demonstrated are:
- Enhanced durability and Indifference to pain: Not wholly, but Gunha feels prickly pain when hurt and does not receive any serious damage when he is shot in the heart or stabbed with an ice pick. He also is able to endure a powerful electric strike from Mikoto, feeling only a bit numb, and to catch her 30% Railgun shot with the teeth, stating that it was painful, though nonchalantly. He could also take an attack from Mikoto while her powers were rising to Level 6 with only slight head wound and recovered almost instantly. Furthermore, he can withstand two attacks of Ollerus' Hliðskjálf without losing consciousness.
- Explosion creation: He can create various type of explosions such as explosions of colorful red, blue, and yellow smoke behind him, which resemble those used in a tokusatsu series; an explosion around him that throws people away; and a barrage of spherical explosions.
- Attack Crash (
念動砲弾Nendō Hōdan (Atakku Kurasshu)?, lit. "Telekinesis Cannonball"): Gunha's special move. A blow powerful enough to destroy a giant mass of rubble which can hit the target even if more than ten meters away. Gunha yells 'Amazing Punch' (すごいパーンチ Sugoi Pānchi?) when executing it, but it can be preceded by some prefixes and adjectives like 'Hyper', 'Eccentric', 'Ultra', 'Great', 'Giga', 'Extreme'. He can even deliver a seemingly stronger version, while yelling 'Super Amazing Punch' (スーパーすごいパーンチ Sūpā Sugoi Pānchi?). To fire it, Gunha stomps his right feet, breaths out deeply with closed eyes, takes a karate-like stance, widely opens his eyes and throws his right fist. Gunha thinks that, when he uses the Attack Crash, he creates an unstable wall of psychokinesis in front of him and destroys it with a stimulus provided by his own fist, causing it to send an explosive after-effect at long distance. However, Yabumi, being psychokinesis is his chosen field of study, stated that it is impossible by physics and that cannot possibly be the real explanation, so the exact mechanics of this attack are unknown.
- Enhanced locomotor skills: He can move at twice the speed of sound, grab a person thrown at high speed before they touch the ground with ease and perform a leap so high to cover several meters with it. A jump of him can create air pressure so strong that no one could breathe in the surroundings.
- Voice amplification: He can let out a powerful shout that allows him to stop falling down, like he did when he was teleported upside down by Kuroko, provoking a strong impact. The vibration caused by the roar echoes throughout the surroundings, and possible bystanders would have to cover their ears.
- Aurora Guard (
磁力戦線Jiryoku Sensen (Ōrora Gādo)?, lit. "Magnetism Front"): A defensive move that knocks electricity down to the ground, even Mikoto's electric attacks while her powers were rising to Level 6. Gunha generally yells 'Amazing Punch Guard' (すごいパーンチガード Sugoi Pānchi Gādo?) when executing it. He can strengthen it, seemingly with the creation of red, blue, and yellow explosions while yelling 'Super Ultra—Defense', allowing him to block stronger electrical attacks such as Mikoto's most powerful lighting strike. However, the defense provided by the Aurora Guard is not perfect, as Gunha started developing burns on his body after Mikoto's continuous electric attacks. Furthermore, the prolonged use of the move seems to tire Gunha enough to make him pant. Gunha thinks that, when he uses the Aurora Guard, he gathers the Earth’s magnetic field into his hand through telekinesis, and uses that electromagnetic field to divert the electric flow. However, Yabumi stated that it is impossible by physics and that cannot possibly be the real explanation, so its exact mechanics are unknown.
- Enhanced strength: He can lift and throw a person at great distance with one arm and can pack a punch so powerful that it provokes a blast of wind that blows out a large amount of flames.
- Recovery: He can stop bleeding and reconnect bones with, in his own words, "guts".
- Mind Control Resistance: He is able to break through Misaki's Metal Out with "guts".
- Air Jump: He is able jump on the air and stops himself from falling down from the air by kicking the air.
- Electricity creation: Despite not able to make electricity, he was able to make one after he was zapped by Junko's electricity. With this, he was able to use his Amazing Punch with the addition of electricity.
- Pressure creation: He can create a large "wall of pressure". It is so powerful that it can hold back Mikoto while her powers were rising to Level 6 and open a large path between the black lightnings created by her. Gunha can put more strength in the attack, apparently causing both or one of his eyes to shine. Seemingly, when the "wall" is hit by a strong enough attack this affects Gunha's body, damaging it from the inside. To use this attack, Gunha takes a martial art-like stance, takes a breath, then waves his arms down and keeps that position.
Character Art DesignsEdit
Preliminary design for him had Gunha look completely different from his final design, noted by Haimura as his poor grasp of his character. His design was finalized after asking Kamachi. Here, Haimura had designed him with an overall concept of a (mistaken) Showa era banchou.
- It was theorized that Gunha would not be affected by Misaki's Mental Out due to his unknown and bizarre ability. However, in Astral Buddy Manga Chapter 021, Gunha was affected by her ability. But, this might have worked because he wasn't aware of Misaki's attack.
- Gunha is currently the only Level 5 esper that hasn't appeared in either Index or Railgun anime (Excluding Number Six).
- (To Ollerus in SS2): "I’ll show you what true guts are!! You don’t need some great reason. A man who isn’t twisted or rotten, even if he’s a complete stranger, can stand up for some injured girls!!"
- (To Mikoto in Toaru Jihanki no Fanfare): "Fufu, I can imagine what you're going to do now. Either way, it'll be really painful if I take one of these. Then, I have to bet all my guts and defend with all I got."
- (To Mikoto in Toaru Jihanki no Fanfare): "Arcade game coins are not to be brought out. [...] I feel that it's better that you return this to the arcade before the shopkeeper gets angry. Well, I can go apologize with you if you want."
- (To Mikoto, after she calls him an idiot): "I see, so I'm an idiot. [...] But, well, SUCH TRIVIAL STUFF LIKE WHETHER I'M SMART OR DUMB IS UNNECESSARY! I DON'T HAVE TO MIND!!"
- (To Kuroko in Toaru Jihanki no Fanfare): "Owww... What was that? ...Super speed or time stop? No, wait, you can teleport yourself, right? That's some guts you have there! But I won't accept ambushes. A man has to teleport his opponent right in front of him! Oh, but you're a girl, so that's fine... I guess."
- (Gunha's derailing speech in the Daihasei Festival's opening): "...And the unbreaking bonds will... The bonds will... Ah, what was it? Ah, well. There was a bunch of stuff about the unbreakable bonds that you'll have to deal with while your guts overflow! Show the results of your everyday training and guts! Show off that splendor and guts to those weaklings without it! To make this tournament the best memory ever! By overcoming all sorts of obstacles through trial and hardship and getting up every time we fall down! OVERCOME EVERYTHING WITH GUTS!!!"
- (Blowing away the rubble created by rampaged Misaka Mikoto): "Hyper Eccentric Ultra Great Giga Extreme and one more Hyper... AMAZING PUNCH!!"
- (Upon seeing trees in flames, in NT7): "This is horrible. These guys showed how much guts they have by living this long. Some of them have lived longer than a human ever will. Now, it’s true trees have to be cut down at times to help us humans out, but I can’t stand it when you don’t show the slightest respect for their guts."
- (To the Agitate Halation "heroes", ibid): "Let me give everyone a quick warning. If you want to flee, do so now. I won’t be trying to hit any of you, but my method of saving lives is not something you can withstand without any guts."
- (After reviving an e-mail to kill Kamijou Touma and Othinus): “What kind of email is this? It’s got no guts at all. Did this come from some intellectual with no common sense?”
- (After Gunha mistakenly thinks Junko is the culprit): "So if you're... involved in something gutless... I can't ignore it. I'll make sure you turn over a new leaf."
- (When Gunha is about throw his punch towards Junko): "SUPER ULTRA MEGA ELECTRO OVERDRIVE MAGNETIC LIGHTNING... AMAZING OUCNH!!!!"
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume SS2 Chapter 21
- ↑ 2.00 2.01 2.02 2.03 2.04 2.05 2.06 2.07 2.08 2.09 2.10 2.11 2.12 2.13 Toaru Jihanki no Fanfare
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume SS2 Chapter 4
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume SS2 Chapter 22
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 4 Part 5
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 10 Prologue
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 015.
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 043
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 044
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 063
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 064
- ↑ Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 065
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 13.2 13.3 13.4 13.5 13.6 13.7 Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 067
- ↑ Astral Buddy Manga Chapter 017
- ↑ Astral Buddy Manga Chapter 018
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 Astral Buddy Manga Chapter 019
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 17.2 Astral Buddy Manga Chapter 021
- ↑ Astral Buddy Manga Chapter 022
- ↑ Rainbow Spectrum
|The Seven Level 5 Espers of Academy City
|Himegami Aisa||Sogiita Gunha||Gemstone Girl|