In Toaru Majutsu no Index, Taoism is mostly used as a base for certain forms of Magic.
Part religion and part philosophy, Taoism can be summarized thus: "go with the flow." All problems in life come from going against the natural order of things. Passive virtue is superior to imposing your will, and poverty is better than great wealth.
Everything in the universe is made up from the flow of two equal, opposite, and interpenetrating forces. Yang is solid and masculine, represented by white in the Taijitu. Yin is the feminine and passive quality, represented by black. From boundless nothingness (wuji) comes the duality of Yin/Yang, and from the duality comes "ten thousand things": both light and darkness, good and evil, active and passive qualities are thus contained within the eternal, flowing Tao.
The foundational text of Taoism is the Tao Te Ching (also Dao De Jing) written by Laozi, the Chinese philosopher seen as its founder. Other important texts include the Zhuangzi, which is best known for the story about being a man-dreaming butterfly, or a butterfly-dreaming man.
Being a religion rooted in China, Taoism is deeply infused with Chinese animism and cultural beliefs, and thus shares a number of deities with Chinese folklore and mythology.
A Xian is a type of being associated with Taoism, said in folklore to be immortal. To be a Xian, one apparently needs to possess a proper skeletal structure, much like people born with the qualities of a Valkyrie or Saint. Some are said to never eat food.
The Shijie-Xian are people who give up their own life to strip away the impurity of a worldly life and become a Xian. They are proper Xians but are apparently sometimes also feared as vampiric monsters. One such Shije-Xian is the Magic God Niang-Niang, who described herself as a heretical Xian who voluntarily took her own life.
Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
Three Stories ArcEdit
- Main article: Three Stories Arc
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
St. Germain ArcEdit
- Main article: St. Germain Arc
Toaru Kagaku no AcceleratorEdit
- Main article: Necromancer Arc
Uses of Taoism in the storyEdit
- Baopuzi: A book written by Jin dynasty scholar Ge Hong. It discuss topics such as techniques to achieve "Xian".
- A grimoire from China with a way to become an immortal written inside it. Within the book is the way to learn Rentanjutsu, it's said a person can create a miracle drug to cure any illness or curse using that technique.
- Jiangshi: An undead creature from Chinese folklore, with some links to Taoism.
- Shijie-Xian: A type of Xian, who fakes their death with a substitute and abandons their old life in order to obtain a form of immortality.
- Xian: A type of immortal found in Taoism and Chinese mythology.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Kanzaki Chapter 7 Chapter 4
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Agnese's Magic Side Work Experience Chapter 2 Part 4
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Between the Lines 2
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 05 Chapter 4 Part 15
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12 Prologue
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator Manga Chapter 029