FANDOM


Line 3: Line 3:
 
Basically, there are currently a fair number of images which are lacking information (e.g. Description, Source, Licensing etc) at the moment, due to people in the past neglecting to add the information. This is something which I've been intending to tackle for a while and there are a number of potential plans which will rely on the relevant images having this information. However, there isn't a list of the images which are lacking them and it would take a considerable amount of time to go through over 9000 of them. Therefore, I've been planning to carry out a bot operation to go through the images and identify the ones which need work done.
 
Basically, there are currently a fair number of images which are lacking information (e.g. Description, Source, Licensing etc) at the moment, due to people in the past neglecting to add the information. This is something which I've been intending to tackle for a while and there are a number of potential plans which will rely on the relevant images having this information. However, there isn't a list of the images which are lacking them and it would take a considerable amount of time to go through over 9000 of them. Therefore, I've been planning to carry out a bot operation to go through the images and identify the ones which need work done.
   
I'm not all that good at coding and external bot operation programs, so what I've devised is a series of sweeps using the MassEdit function, to be carried out by the bot account on a secondary unit. By following this series of steps, I'm hoping to have the bot go through batches of images, get the existing information into a common framework, identify the areas where information is lacking and tag them so that a convenient list is produced for subsequent work, while I carry out work in other areas at the same time. My hope is that this will save a bit of time and make subsequent work a little easier.
+
I'm not all that good at coding and external bot operation programs, so what I've devised is a series of sweeps using the MassEdit function, to be carried out by the bot account on a secondary unit. By following this series of improvised steps, I'm hoping to have the bot go through batches of images, get the existing information into a common framework, identify the areas where information is lacking and tag them so that a convenient list is produced for subsequent work, while I carry out work in other areas at the same time. My hope is that this will save a bit of time and make subsequent work a little easier.
   
 
I had the bot carry out work on a test batch (while monitoring) in early November to test the procedure and see if there were any problems with it. It seemed to work well for the most part, though there were a few oversights and I identified various areas which needed improvement. Unfortunately, I was interrupted several times while doing so and I did not make a particularly clear note of my observations/thoughts, so I ended up losing track of some of the information when I came back to the task later and had to find it all over again.
 
I had the bot carry out work on a test batch (while monitoring) in early November to test the procedure and see if there were any problems with it. It seemed to work well for the most part, though there were a few oversights and I identified various areas which needed improvement. Unfortunately, I was interrupted several times while doing so and I did not make a particularly clear note of my observations/thoughts, so I ended up losing track of some of the information when I came back to the task later and had to find it all over again.

Revision as of 15:47, January 9, 2020

The operation which I've been planning to carry out is part of something I'm calling the Image Information Survey.

Basically, there are currently a fair number of images which are lacking information (e.g. Description, Source, Licensing etc) at the moment, due to people in the past neglecting to add the information. This is something which I've been intending to tackle for a while and there are a number of potential plans which will rely on the relevant images having this information. However, there isn't a list of the images which are lacking them and it would take a considerable amount of time to go through over 9000 of them. Therefore, I've been planning to carry out a bot operation to go through the images and identify the ones which need work done.

I'm not all that good at coding and external bot operation programs, so what I've devised is a series of sweeps using the MassEdit function, to be carried out by the bot account on a secondary unit. By following this series of improvised steps, I'm hoping to have the bot go through batches of images, get the existing information into a common framework, identify the areas where information is lacking and tag them so that a convenient list is produced for subsequent work, while I carry out work in other areas at the same time. My hope is that this will save a bit of time and make subsequent work a little easier.

I had the bot carry out work on a test batch (while monitoring) in early November to test the procedure and see if there were any problems with it. It seemed to work well for the most part, though there were a few oversights and I identified various areas which needed improvement. Unfortunately, I was interrupted several times while doing so and I did not make a particularly clear note of my observations/thoughts, so I ended up losing track of some of the information when I came back to the task later and had to find it all over again.

Once I've cleaned things up a bit and made the relevant adjustments to the procedure, I intend to have the bot work through the remaining twenty-seven or so batches.

Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.