Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator (とある科学の一方通行（アクセラレータ） Toaru Kagaku no Akuserarēta?), translated as A Certain Scientific Accelerator, is the anime series adaptation of the Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator manga series by Yamaji Arata. The series is produced by J.C. Staff in 2019. The anime series is directed by Kamanaka Nobuharu and written by Sugihara Kenji, with music by Iuchi Maiko, art direction by Suzuki Akira, sound direction by Aketagawa Jin, and character designs by Yaegashi Yohei based on the original designs by Haimura Kiyotaka and Yamaji Arata.
- Main article: List of Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator Episodes
The massive Academy City lies due west of Tokyo. In this city of 2.3 million, about 80% of which is composed of students, a special curriculum is used for esper ability development, with students assessed based on a six-tier system from Level 0 to Level 5.
Within Academy City, one stands at the summit among all espers: the strongest esper, Accelerator. He is one of the seven Level 5s of Academy City, but he boasts an outstanding ability as the highest-ranking of the seven, this power dragging him into a brutal everyday life. With a repetitive eccentric "experiment", he wished for absolute power and, for the first time, experienced defeat. What waited for him at the end was a girl named Last Order, whose encounter greatly changed his destiny.
The most powerful and most evil "monster", Accelerator, tears through the Academy City's darkness!
- Accelerator (
一方通行Ippō Tsūkō (Akuserarēta)?) - Considered as the strongest esper as one of the seven Level 5s of Academy City. He has the ability to manipulate vectors and has, since birth, been regarded as invincible. Accelerator was part of the cancelled Level 6 Shift Project and is still haunted by its legacy, one of which is a young girl named Last Order, where he was severely injured and hospitalized after rescuing her. He is voiced by Okamoto Nobuhiko.
- Last Order (
打ち止めUchidome (Rasuto Ōdā)?) - She is #20001, the last Sisters clone produced before its production was put to a halt. Despite looking and acting like a fast-talking 10-year-old, Last Order, like all other Sisters, has access to the Misaka Network. When she became a fugitive due to a certain incident, she met Accelerator. She is voiced by Hidaka Rina.
- Esther Rosenthal (エステル＝ローゼンタール Esuteru Rōzentāru?) - A girl with the ability to manipulate the dead, called forth into Academy City due to a certain plan. She is currently in pursuit of the organization called DA after rescuing Last Order from a particular circumstance. She is voiced by Kubo Yurika.
- Huotou (禍斗 Kato?) - A first year high school student of Ninoude High and a Level 2 Pyrokinesist. Thinking that she was a burden to her family, she considered committing suicide, but was rescued by Anti-Skill. Afterwards, she became entangled into a certain incident. She is voiced by Watabe Sayumi.
- Sisters (
妹達Imōto-tachi (Shisutāzu)?) - Clones of Misaka Mikoto, a Level 5 who is also called "Railgun", whose DNA map was used for a certain experiment. A total of 20,000 clones were created, and are collectively called as "sisters". Their ability is Radio Noise, varying between Level 2 and 3. While lacking facial expression, they act unrefined and have a penchant for cute things. They are currently undergoing medical care in various research institutions. They are voiced by Sasaki Nozomi.
- Yomikawa Aiho (黄泉川愛穂?) - A teacher in School District 7, as well as a member of Anti-Skill. She can beat Level 3 espers in unarmed combat, and she also possesses precise judgment skills stemming from her vast experience. Aiho holds a conviction that prevents her from pointing weapons at children and, taking pride in this, often deals with the undesirable violence with only a helmet and riot shield, earning her the reputation of a "woman who uses comedy-like methods to solve problems". She has the appearance of a well-endowed woman with a glamorous figure, but her tendency to always wear a green jersey and her lack of regard over her looks makes her a "beautiful disappointment". She is voiced by Kaida Yuuko.
- Hishigata Mikihiko (菱形幹比古?) - A research affiliated with Seiin High School. He was part of Produce, an experiment that aims to locate the origin of esper abilities in a person's body, and met Esther while supervising the project. He is voiced by Ōsaka Ryōta.
- Hishigata Hirumi (菱形蛭魅?) - A student of Seiin High School and Mikihiko's younger sister. She collaborated in her brother's research as a test subject, and became friends with Esther. She lost her life in an accident during the research work. She is voiced by Mano Ayumi.
Crunchyroll is streaming the anime worldwide except Asia on July 12th 2019. Funimation licensed the anime in United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand and premiered an English dub on July 26th 2019.
Each volume of the disc set includes a portion of a side story written by Kamachi Kazuma entitled Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Biohacker Arc. A parody animation based on the Accelerator anime entitled Tobidase Ippou-san Hachamecha Kaishingeki will be bundled with limited edition Blu-ray and DVD releases for the anime. An official guidebook to the Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun anime series, entitled Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator × Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Toaru Magazine, was released on August 2019.
Like in the Toaru Majutsu no Index and Toaru Kagaku no Railgun anime, Iuchi Maiko handles the original soundtrack for Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator anime. The opening theme song of Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator is "Shadow is the Light" by THE SIXTH LIE. The ending theme song of the series is "Parole" by sajou no hana.
- Official Website (in Japanese)
- ↑ Anime News Network: Crunchyroll, Funimation to Stream A Certain Scientific Accelerator Anime
- ↑ Funimation Summer 2019 Lineup
- ↑ Toaru Project, Accelerator, BD
- ↑ Toaru Project, Accelerator, BD, Vol. 1
- ↑ 『とある科学の一方通行』×『とある科学の超電磁砲』 とあるマガジン (電撃ムックシリーズ) from Amazon Japan. Retrieved on 24/08/19
- ↑ THE SIXTH LIE Official Website (in Japanese). Accessed May 24, 2019.
- ↑ TVアニメ『とある科学の一方通行』放送時期＆放送局決定！ スペシャルTVCM公開！！, Toaru Project Official Website (in Japanese). Accessed March 23, 2019.