"Dreams" (夢 Yume?) is the 77th chapter of the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun manga series, released on May 27, 2015.
In the aftermath of a fire at a park in Academy City, Miyama Shaei makes a full recovery while Uiharu Kazari and Shirai Kuroko continue their investigation on the fire. Meanwhile, as Saten Ruiko takes the chance to use the Indian Poker cards to learn new skills, Misaka Mikoto discovers the existence of one of the urban legends of the city.
Following the fire , Uiharu and Kuroko talk about their findings. The ampules are confirmed as the main cause of the fire, and the people who are responsible have admitted their wrongdoings. In their testimony, they explain that they wanted to see the cherry trees blossom year-round and learned how to make this happen through Indian Poker cards.
The two Judgment girls soon meet up with Shaei in the park where the fire occurred. Here, Shaei reads a letter from his former schoolmate Ookawachi Megumi, who wants to apologize for her mistreatment of Shaei in the past and her consent to take care of Pero for the meantime. When he spots Kuroko, Shaei reveals that Uiharu told him to stay away from her due to her perversion, causing Kuroko to get angry at Uiharu. In the resulting conversation, it is revealed that the park suffered little damage after the fire, and Shaei has decided to give Pero to someone else and to stop using his power. Kuroko, however, remains optimistic that Shaei will eventually learn to use his power without suffering any harm. She also admits that she herself always wanted to become a hero.
Meanwhile, Saten shows off her new-found kendama skills to Mikoto and reveals that she acquired this skill through Indian Poker cards, which she also plans to use for learning how to expertly twirl pens around. Saten explains that Indian Poker cards aren't only available from exchanging between friends, but also from traders.
After parting ways with Saten, Mikoto encounters a street peddler selling Indian Poker cards. Here, Kinuhata Saiai is a customer looking for a particular kind of card. Saiai immediately recognizes Mikoto, but Mikoto doesn't recognize her. Mikoto talks to the trader and learns that he has a single S-rank card, the product of a scientist considered eccentric even by Academy City standards: the Bust Upper.
- The case with the park fire has been solved on account of the culprits turning themselves in.
- Megumi apologizes and make amends with Shaei by taking care of his dog for him.
- Indian Poker cards are proven to have the ability to help users learn certain abilities.
- Misaka Mikoto meets Kinuhata Saiai.
In order of appearance
- Uiharu Kazari
- Shirai Kuroko
- Miyama Shaei
- Ookawachi Megumi (referenced-only)
- Saten Ruiko
- Misaka Mikoto
- Aogami Pierce (referenced-only)
- Kinuhata Saiai
No abilities were introduced this chapter.
No new abilities were introduced this chapter.
No new locations were introduced this chapter.
- Mikoto meets Saiai for the first time in the Railgun Manga timeline.
- The girl who turned herself in for the park fire is the same one who injected the plant ampule in the first place back in Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Manga Chapter 074.
- Kendama is a game that uses a toy of the same name to perform tricks.
- Mikoto refers to her dream as reminiscent of "Edmond's Frog Factory". This may be a reference to the book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.
- Is the Indian Poker Trader's tale about the Bust Upper card true?
- Shirai Kuroko: "Heh heh heh. 'Wahyah'. You can sound pretty cute sometimes." ― to Shaei.
- Shirai Kuroko: "I had always wanted to be... a hero." ― to Shaei.