Three years ago, the Miracle 88 occurred, where all 88 passengers of the Spaceplane Orion reportedly survived during the emergency crash landing of the Spaceplane. During the ordeal, a mysterious being appears before the passengers, singing a tune. The event is referred to as a miracle, but as a result the Spaceplane was no longer seen by the public as a safe way to get to space.
In the current year, the space elevator Endymion is nearing it's completion, and a shadowy figure visits the memorial of Miracle 88 in School District 23. As Touma and Index enjoy their day out together, they hear the performance of Meigo Arisa on the streets. The both of them are easily charmed by her music, and they quickly become friends. Arisa reports to her new friends that her song has been chosen as the campaign song for the opening of Endymion. Excited for this, Index invites Arisa to eat with them, much to Touma's worries.
Meanwhile, Saten Ruiko is listening to Arisa's music, which attracts Misaka Mikoto's attention, and indicates that they have met before. Their peaceful conversation is rudely interrupted by the appearance of Shirai Kuroko and her antics.
After eating out, Touma and the rest go to the batting cages, in which Touma repeatedly fails to strike the ball. Touma tells Arisa that despite him having legitimate misfortune, Arisa was chosen because of her effort, and says that she should be proud of that fact, making her blush.
However, as they are having fun, three mysterious figures appear, interested at Meigo Arisa.
- Meigo Arisa meets Kamijou Touma and Index.
- Meigo Arisa's song is chosen as Endymion's campaign song.
- Kamijou Touma
- Kazakiri Hyouka (referenced only)
- Sherry Cromwell (referenced only)
- Agnese Sanctis (referenced only)
- Misaka Mikoto
- Uiharu Kazari
- Saten Ruiko
- Shirai Kuroko
- Daedalus Sequenzia
- Shutaura Sequenzia
- Meigo Arisa
- Ladylee Tangleroad
- Mallybath Blackball
- Marie Spearhead
- Jane Elves
- Golem Ellis - Sherry Cromwell.
- Lotus Wand - Agnese Sanctis
- Telepathy (referenced only)
- Teleport - Shirai Kuroko, Level 4.
- Electromaster - Misaka Mikoto, Level 5.
No new abilities were referenced during this chapter.
- Endymion is retconned into the Toaru Majutsu no Index universe.
- Kazari references the difficulty of building the Space Elevator in Academy City and not in the equator, is a reference to the common specification of building a space elevator on the equator to take advantage of the Earth's centrifugal force as the equator bulges due to the Earth's rotation.
- Despite only meeting Touma briefly, Arisa calls him but his given name along with a -kun honorific. Likewise, Touma calls her by her given name.
- This marks the first appearance of Witches, in an adaptation.
- Volume 6 and 7 of Toaru Majutsu no Index is referenced in the chapter to make it seem that the elevator was there all along.
- Toaru Majutsu to Kagaku no Ensemble is referenced by Mikoto, where she met Arisa in the Science Side Surface Story of the game.
- Endymion is the name of the space elevator, and is named after a Greek mythology character.
- The Tower of Babel is referenced by Index.
- What was that mysterious phantom that appeared during the crash landing?
- Why was there blood on the pilot seat?
- Who was that girl in the memorial of the Space 88 incident at School District 23?
- Who were the witches monitoring Arisa?
- Arisa: "If I had some kind of power, I would have ended up relying on it. I doubt I would even be singing. I'm no good at school either. But singing is the one thing I can do and so I will do whatever I can to sing. Someday, instead of singing on the streets... I want my song to reach lots of people in a large venue. I guess you could say that is my dream."-said to Touma and Index.
- Touma: "Opportunity and success come only to those who do not fear to stand in the batter's box! Who want to hit the ball more than anything, and swing with all their might!" -said to Arisa.
- Touma: "Well, I may truly have misfortune... but you were chosen due to you effort, Arisa. I say you can be proud of that fact." -said to Arisa.