"Chaos" (混乱 Konran?) is the first episode of the third season of the Toaru Majutsu no Index anime series. It was first broadcast on October 5th 2018, and was directed by Nogami Yoshiyuki, was storyboarded by Nishikiori Hiroshi, and the script written by Yoshino Hiroyuki.
A large-scale attack against Academy City was launched by someone at the end of summer. This incident, announced as an act of violence by a religious organization outside of Academy City, was put to an end, and the Western Roman Catholic Church's opposition against Academy City only intensified. Protests of growing extremity erupted in various places around the world. And, seemingly to instigate the situation, Academy City opened the Interceptor Show, with both events contributing to the rising tensions.
Amidst the current state of the world, a fierce battle unfolds at A Certain High School. The "Three Idiots", Kamijou, Tsuchimikado and Aogami Pierce debate about the best kind of bunny girl, and in this battle that seeks the truth about boys, the Iron Wall Girl Fukiyose becomes dragged into the heated argument which ends with them sentenced to punishment duty. However, at the other side of this peaceful everyday scene lies a situation that is steadily on the move...
At the Kamijou residence, Index takes a shower with Sphynx and promises that lunch will come as soon as Touma arrives home. However, Touma lost his wallet and is unable to buy them food for lunch. Touma desperately tries to explain his side, but is unable to escape Index's bites.
Touma later returns to the faculty room of A Certain High School alongside Tsuchimikado Motoharu, Aogami Pierce, and Fukiyose Seiri, and they are confronted by Tsukuyomi Komoe and Oyafune Suama. The four are summoned to the faculty room after being involved in a scuffle caused by Aogami arguing with Touma and Tsuchimikado about their preferences in bunny girls. Fukiyose, on the other hand, became involved because of her violent means of stopping the commotion. Komoe assigns the four to remove the weeds behind the school gym after school as punishment, with Saigo threatening them menacingly. Touma, Aogami, and Fukiyose leave the room, frustrated with their punishment. Tsuchimikado quickly disappears as soon as they leave the faculty room, leaving the others to assume that he has ditched them. But, Motoharu is actually nearby, talking over the phone with someone.
Back in the faculty room, Suama voices her frustration with the students while embroidering a pair of gloves. Her conversation with Komoe reveals that she wants to start knitting them now or else she won't finish it in time for Christmas.
Protests in Toulouse, France affect the transportation and other infrastructure in the area. The news eventually reach the Interceptor Show, where weapons and other advanced weapons of Academy City are being showcased. Yomikawa Aiho attends the event as a test operator of the HsPS-15. Meanwhile, Uiharu Kazari is accompanied by Shirai Kuroko around the exhibition. Close by is Misaka Mikoto, who is still waiting for a message from Touma. Mikoto soon asks about the busy atmosphere in the Interceptor Show, and she speculates that the tension from the protests is part of the reason why, something that Uiharu dismisses. After Kuroko and Uiharu part ways with Mikoto for Judgment duty, Mikoto once more checks her phone, only to discover that Touma has not sent a message to her.
Touma ends up alone with Fukiyose as Aogami also left them behind to escape their punishment. After Touma talks to Fukiyose about the cancelled midterms, Touma asks what Fukiyose is good at. Fukiyose then brags about her "mean forkball" and demands Touma to play with her. The throw momentarily causes Touma to catch a glimpse of Fukiyose's panties, causing her to hit Touma on the head. Meanwhile, Index is still struggling with Sphynx when she finds Tsuchimikado Maika at her door, who is willing to invite her over to eat. Suddenly, Sphynx escapes the apartment and somehow outruns Index as she chases after it, asking Maika to watch over the apartment. Sphynx soon runs into a certain old woman with a red scarf, which calms Sphynx down. Index arrives shortly afterward to confirm Sphynx is her cat. The old woman then treats Index to a crepe, happy that Index and Sphynx has made up. Index then notices the scarf, to which the woman says it was made by her daughter. Her daughter, Oyafune Suama, is having trouble with the gloves she is knitting. To complicate things, she accidentally spills coffee on her. And as she tries to clean the spill up, Touma enters the faculty room, wondering if he can home now. Of course, he sees her in a compromising pose, and he hurriedly runs out of the room as she tosses school supplies at him.
It is afternoon, and Touma is still bothered by what happened earlier. He later passes by a vending machine and Misaka Mikoto in front of it. After readying herself, she kicks the vending machine but is surprised that it doesn't spit out cans for her like the other one she knows of. Seeing this, Touma ignores her, letting sleeping dogs lie. However, Mikoto noticed him and forcing him to plead to her not to bother him since he has been through much earlier in the day. Mikoto however demands to know why he hasn't replied to her messages. Surprised to hear that she has sent him messages, Touma takes out his phone but is taken away by her. Mikoto checks his phone but to her surprise finds not only a selfie of her mother and him but also her being in his contacts. Touma tries to convince Mikoto that he has no idea how "Misuzu" got there and that she was drunk at the time. This was a bad move, as Mikoto assumes that Touma is in a first-name basis with her own mother. Leading to her to attack him using her powers, and forcing Touma to protect himself using Imagine Breaker. Touma says that Misuzu was drunk and fooling around, and telling her to talk to Index she wants the truth. Touma says that it is sundown and tells her that she's supposed to have a curfew. Mikoto doesn't care as she can deal with it, though the checks have become more rigorous as of late with tensions running high. After giving back his phone, Mikoto tells him to be careful as well. With her back behind Touma, she starts talking about the incident back in September 30, showing her worry for him getting in a fight and getting hurt. As Mikoto tries to ask Touma more about it she turns around to find him gone, much to her irritation.
Back with Index, the old woman asks Index about the boy who makes meals for her every day. Index responds that "Touma" makes delicious food and is somewhat a kind person. Hearing Touma's name intrigues the old woman until someone calls her on her phone. After the phone call, she says goodbye to Index, and thanks her for keeping her company. Index also thanks her for treating her with food and later leaves. Now she has a serious look on her face and apologizes to Index. Meanwhile with Touma, he has somehow been able to buy groceries and is heading back home. Walking alone, he notices the protests around the world and wonders why the tensions are running high after the Kazakiri incident. He wonders if he should visit Motoharu and ask him about it. Suddenly, he bumps into an old woman carrying a coat, the same old woman Index bumped into earlier. Touma apologizes but the old woman says that he she was the one is supposed to be apologizing as she secretly points a gun at him. She asks Touma to talk with her with the chaos that is happening around the world.
In a secluded place, Touma tells the old woman that he has nothing to tell her. The old woman says she needs his input to solve her problem and introduces herself as Oyafune Monaka, one of the Academy City Board of Directors. Touma is surprised as a board member should at least have a better-looking scarf. This angers Monaka as her daughter hand-made it for her. Back on-topic, Touma believes that the reason why the problem hasn't been solved yet was because no one can do anything since the reasons and causes behind it were too complex. Monaka however say that perhaps there was a simple reason behind it. Monaka reveals the real reason she wanted to talk to him, about something that is within him: the Imagine Breaker. Touma asks if the cause behind the chaos around the world is caused by the supernatural, to which Monaka affirms. She says what's happening in the world isn't the result of the events of September 30, and that it's an ongoing problem. Whatever the truth is, however, is that the Roman Catholic Church is using the disturbances to attack the stable world order built around Academy City. Touma tells her that even if it was true, he has no power to help discover where they are or what tricks they're using in creating these disturbances, and that he at least he needs to know that before he can do anything. Monaka agrees and tells Touma that "he", Tsuchimikado Motoharu, can explain it to him. Motoharu appears and asks if she finished discussing things with him. She tells him yes and that it's his turn to take care of the rest, he pulls out a handgun and shoots her in the gut with it, causing her to fall to the ground.
Shocked and angered by Motoharu's actions, Touma punches him and he falls to the ground, before he loses control Monaka stops him and tells him that she arranged for Motoharu to shoot her. As she lies bleeding, she says her actions would be labeled as treason and her family will be attacked. She tells him that this decision to stop the chaos was not made as a whole from the other directors but from her own choosing, as Academy City wanted to aggravate the situation with the Roman Catholic Church and destroy them. This is why she contacted him as he was a person who can resolve the entire situation. Motoharu tells her that she doesn't need to speak anymore, and that she has played her part perfectly. Motoharu says to her that she doesn't need to worry as he will take care of the rest.
With Touma ready, he and Motoharu go to School District 23, get on a plane and go to France. Their target is a Roman Catholic spiritual item, the Document of Constantine. After enduring the super-fast plane, Touma and Motoharu jump off the plane with parachutes down into Avignon as Touma screams in terror.
- Kamijou Touma is approached by Oyafune Monaka, a member of Academy City's Board of Directors, for help in dealing with the hidden cause behind a series of worldwide riots and protests against Academy City.
- Academy City shows off its weapons technology during the Interceptor Show as a response to the riots.
By order of appearance:
- Kamijou Touma
- Tsukuyomi Komoe
- Fukiyose Seiri
- Tsuchimikado Motoharu
- Aogami Pierce
- Tsuchimikado Maika
- Yomikawa Aiho
- Uiharu Kazari
- Shirai Kuroko
- Misaka Mikoto
- Misaka Misuzu (image-only)
- Kazakiri Hyouka (referenced)
By order of appearance:
- Teleport - Shirai Kuroko, Level 4.
- Electromaster (Railgun-variant) - Misaka Mikoto, Level 5.
- Imagine Breaker - Kamijou Touma, Level 0.
No new abilities were shown this episode.
- Academy City
- Anime original scenes appear in the episode, mostly expanding on Index and Mikoto's whereabouts.
- While giving herself and Sphynx a bath, Index sings A Certain Tune but this time adding the lyrics "ofuro" (bath) to it.
- An HsAFH-11 is briefly seen in the Interceptor Show.
- Both the Imagine Breaker and Kuroko's teleport sound effects are changed from their previous sound during this episode.
- In the Toaru Majutsu no Index manga, design of Supersonic Passenger Plane was that of the Concorde, however in this episode it is changed to its original design.
- The voice actress of unnamed female engineer is Shimizu Ayaka and unnamed news anchor is Watabe Sayumi.
- Prior to the start of the opening theme, Touma recaps the events of the two previous seasons of Toaru Majutsu no Index.
- Touma's meeting Misaka Misuzu is referenced this episode, though Mikoto learns that her mother was drunk through a picture on Touma's phone rather than calling her.
- The events of September 30 is constantly referenced in this episode, and shows how much it affected the world and the characters. Notably, Mikoto mentions it in relation to Touma's involvement, while Touma himself references Kazakiri Hyouka's involvement in a later scene.
- The scene where Monaka talks to Touma and where she is later shot by Motoharu is same location where Saten Ruiko shows Misaka Mikoto her good luck charm back in episode 8 of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun.
- A Browning M2HB is seen on top of the tank in the Interceptor Show.
- A GIAT M621 is seen mounted on the belly of the HsAFH-11 in the Interceptor Show as well.
- Tsuchimikado Motoharu uses a Glock 17 in this episode, and uses it for the rest of the arc.
Differences in Adaptation
- Despite the previous season's penultimate episode showing that it was the autumn season, the trees and the surrounding mountains near Touma's school no longer has autumn colors and instead shown to be green instead.
- The French displayed on the signs shown in the news is incorrect, mostly due to bad or awkward syntax, but roughly translated, they mean:
- Nous Résister: We Resist. "Nous Résistons" would be the proper translation.
- Ne partez pas de Côté de Dieu: Do Not Leave the Side of God. "Ne Laissez Pas Dieu de Côté" would carry the same meaning better.
|#||Title||Time||Scene & Notes|
|3||Unverified Track||Index and Touma|
|4||Unverified Track||School antics|
|5||Unverified Track||News of riots, Interceptor Show|
|6||Itsumo no o Furo♪||Ball|
|7||Uchidome to Ippō Tsukō||Index's encounters with Maika and Oyafune Monaka|
|8||Unverified Track||Oyafune Suama's embarrassment|
|10||Unverified Track||Encounter with Misaka Mikoto|
|11||Unverified Track||Talk with Oyafune Monaka|
|12||Unverified Track||Shooting and Departure|
|14||Gravitation (Preview Version)||Preview|
- Is Monaka dead?
- Oyafune Monaka: "Let's talk about the chaos around the world."--to Touma.