Mercenary (傭兵 Yōhei?) is the twelfth episode of the third season of the Toaru Majutsu no Index anime series. It was broadcast on December 22nd 2018, and was directed by Nogami Yoshiyuki, was storyboarded by Ochi Kojin, and the script written by Yoshino Hiroyuki.
An invasion by the knights? The chaos brought about by this fighting will be slashed by one man's sword. His name, William Orwell.
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 4 & Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 5 Parts 1 - 7
- Empowered by the Curtana Original in the hands of Carissa, the Knights of England commence a coup d'état and seize key locations and persons across the United Kingdom.
- Acqua of the Back (aka William Orwell) returns and saves Princess Villian from execution before facing his old friend, the Knight Leader.
By order of appearance:
- Agnese Sanctis
- Agnese Forces
- Laura Stuart
- Index Librorum Prohibitorum
- Knight Leader
- Kamijou Touma
- Oriana Thomson
- Sherry Cromwell
- Kanzaki Kaori
- William Orwell
- Ascalon - Acqua of the Back
- Bayard - Acqua of the Back
- Hrunting - Knight Leader
- Hair Magic - Laura Stuart
- United Kingdom
- The voice actress of the unnamed sister is Hirose Yuuki.
- The voice actors of the unnamed knights are Maeda Hiroki, Muro Genki, and Satou Ken.
- Their appearance in the movie notwithstanding, this marks the debut of witches in the anime.
- The previous discussed possibility of magic having been used in the Eurotunnel bombing is confirmed, specifically a spell based on the House of Loreto.
- The Palace of Westminster, the seat of the United Kingdom's Parliament, including the clock tower Big Ben, is seen briefly as one of the places the knights had taken over, as is Canterbury Cathedral.
- During the establishment shot of London (specifically the financial district known as the City of London) during the Knights' attack, several prominent skyscrapers can be seen, including the Gherkin, the Leadenhall Building, and the Walkie-Talkie.
- The Eurostar train which Touma was riding to Folkestone appears to be a Class 373 "Eurostar e300" train, bearing the traditional color scheme associated with them since the Channel Tunnel's opening in 1994, as opposed to the more recent Class 374 "Eurostar e320" trains, which were delivered in 2014.
Differences in AdaptationEdit
- Unlike in the novels, where Ascalon shines with different colors depending on the function of the blade which is being used, the sword's glow instead remains blue.
|#||Title||Time||Scene & Notes|
|Oitsume Rarete||Witches vs. Knights|
|Feiku||Searching for Princess Villian|
|Semaru Kage||Kanzaki vs. Knight Leader|
|Jinmon||Knight Leader prepares to execute the Third Princess|
|Extraordinary||Acqua save Villian|
|Boukyaku no Hibi||Acqua and Villian|
|Shinryaku to Shihai||Hrunting|
|Garake-Goshi no Kenka Koshi||Touma and Floris|
|Saikik Batoru||Touma and Floris jumps to the river|
|Heavenly God||Acqua vs. Knight Leader|
|Jigoujitoku||Laura's hitchhiking plan|
|Gravitation (Preview Version)||Preview|
- Where is First Princess Riméa?
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Movie: Miracle of Endymion
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index III Episode 11
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 5 Part 5
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 18 Chapter 5 Part 7
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Toaru Majutsu no Index III Original Soundtrack 2
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index II Original Soundtrack 2
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 Toaru Majutsu no Index II Original Soundtrack 1
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index III Original Soundtrack 1