Son of God (神の子 Kami no Ko?, lit. "Child of God") is the twenty-sixth and final episode of the third season of the Toaru Majutsu no Index anime series. It was broadcast on April 5th 2019, and was directed by Sakurabi Katsushi and Nogami Yoshiyuki, was storyboarded by Nishikiori Hiroshi and Sakurabi Katsushi, and the script written by Yoshino Hiroyuki.
There is still something I have to do. I'm sorry. I promise, I will return.
- Accelerator witnesses Last Order's recovery and embraces her in relief. On seeing the energy about to fall from the Star of Bethlehem, Accelerator moves to stop it, his wings turning to white with his admission to Last Order. Knocked out in the process of intercepting it, he later wakes to find himself bound in an Academy City helicopter but tricks the recovery unit and breaks free.
- Failing to maintain the necessary output for the Holy Right, Fiamma tries to turn things around with Index's remote control, despite interference on her end. Despite briefly losing his footing, Touma succeeds in knocking Fiamma down. With the Star of Bethlehem about to fall and only one escape capsule left, Touma sends Fiamma away it instead of escaping himself.
- Turning down an opportunity to be rescued by Mikoto as he still had something he needed to do, Touma finds and destroys the remote control, but not before one last remote conversation with Index, apologizing for his deception. Following Stiyl's instructions, Touma destroys specific propulsion systems on the Star of Bethlehem in order to guide its descent towards the Arctic Ocean. However, when Archangel Gabriel reemerges and tries to restore its power with water from the polar ice cap, Touma changes the fortress's course to slam into the angel, before punching it himself.
- Unable to find anything to negotiate with, Hamazura Shiage, Takitsubo Rikou and Mugino Shizuri are cornered by an Academy City team led by ITEM's liaison. During the confrontation, it is revealed that Takitsubo has the potential to become the 8th Level 5 and possibly carry out the functions of esper development on her own, and that Academy City had a means to know an esper's potential with the Parameter List. However, they are saved by the arrival of Digurv and the other villagers. Hamazura then moves to extract the information about the Parameter List from the liaison.
- After landing, Fiamma is ambushed by Aleister Crowley, who intends to eliminate him after he saw the entity behind the Imagine Breaker, having got too close to the truth concerning Aleister's plan. His arm severed, Fiamma tries to face Aleister, but is easily defeated and left for dead. Aleister's brief appearance in Russia is detected by Necessarius. Later, the fallen Fiamma is approached by Ollerus and Silvia, who intend to save him in return for being told what he learned and saw.
- As World War III comes to end, all Mikoto is able to find of Touma in the icy seas is the torn away Gekota accessory they'd previously got together. However, Touma has survived and is found unconscious by Leivinia Birdway and Mark Space of the Dawn-Colored Sunlight.
By order of appearance:
- Last Order
- Misaka Worst
- Maiden of Versailles
- Kanzaki Kaori
- Tatemiya Saiji
- Fiamma of the Right
- Kamijou Touma
- Lessar (voice-only)
- Sasha Kreutzev (mentioned)
- Misaka Mikoto
- Misaka 10777
- Index Librorum Prohibitorum
- Stiyl Magnus
- Archangel Gabriel
- Hamazura Shiage
- Takitsubo Rikou
- Mugino Shizuri
- ITEM Liaison
- Aleister Crowley
- Laura Stuart
- Kazakiri Hyouka
- Krans R. Tsarskiy
- Leivinia Birdway
- Imagine Breaker - Kamijou Touma
- Accelerator (ability) - Accelerator, Level 5
- Electromaster (Railgun-variant) - Misaka Mikoto, Level 5
- Holy Right - Fiamma of the Right
- Ollerus and Silvia were introduced before in the story in the Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume SS2 but this volume was not adapted in this season.
- The existence of Magic Gods in this world is mentionned for the first time.
- Aleister's staff, the Blasting Rod, was previously seen on a screen in the Windowless Building following the events of the Daihaseisai.
- On the map showing Misha Kreutzev's path to the Arctic Ocean, a few geographical locations of the Russian Far North can be recognized: Novaya Zemlya, the Pechora River, the Ob River, the Gulf of Ob, and the Yamal Peninsula.
- Othinus is the latin name for Odin, the smartest Norse God, father of Thor, and God of magic among others in Norse mythology.
- Ollerus is the latin name for Ull, God of winter in Norse mythology.
- In Norse mythology, Ull took Odin's place as a sovereign God after Odin's banishment by the Æsir, but Odin came 10 years later to recover his place, leading to Ull's escape.
Differences in Adaptation
- In the novel, Misaka cries after Touma rejected her help.
- In the novel, it is said that Aleister Crowley, a man who was supposed to have been killed 60 years ago by Anglican assassins, was still in the Windowless Building when he attacked Fiamma.
- In the novel, Aleister describes himself as a "transcendental" being at the same level as a magician called Anna Sprengel. He can for example exist in multiple locations at the same time.
- In the novel, Aleister's explanations go further with the concepts of Aeons. He says to Fiamma that he failed because he is a Christian so his power is from the Aeon of Osiris, therefore he can't understand the forces which are from the Aeon of Horus, that's why he failed.
- At the end of Volume 22, Touma was said to have faced his second 'death' and his survival wasn't confirmed until the end of Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Volume 1. His recovery from the Arctic Ocean by the Dawn-Colored Sunlight was only referred to rather than being shown.
|#||Title||Time||Scene & Notes|
|1||Holy Wing||00:25||Accelerator and Last Order, White wings|
|2||Storm of Swords||03:40||Touma defeats Fiamma, the last escape capsule|
|3||Tachi Tomare nai Riyuu||07:25||Mikoto tries to recover Touma|
|4||Hold Your Peace||09:00||Touma speaks with Index|
|6||Majutsu to Heiki||11:17||The Star of Bethlehem's descent and Gabriel's reemergence|
|7||Unmei no Hajimari||13:41||Touma and Gabriel|
|9||Wring Your Neck||16:36||Hamazura cornered, Accelerator breaks free|
|10||Kiseki o Shinjite||19:10||Fiamma's encounter with Aleister Crowley|
|11||Torimodosenai Mono||21:34||The Aftermath of WW3, Credits (No ED)|
This section requires expansion
- "There is still something I have to do. I'm sorry. I promise, I will return."
- Toaru Majutsu no Index II Episode 13
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Chapter 12 Part 4
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22 Epilogue
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 22
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 01
- Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 02
- Toaru Majutsu no Index III Original Soundtrack 2
- Toaru Kagaku no Railgun Original Soundtrack 2 - MOMENT
- Toaru Majutsu no Index III Original Soundtrack 1
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Original Soundtrack 1 - ELECTROMASTER
- Toaru Majutsu no Index Original Soundtrack 2 - Dedicatus545
- Toaru Majutsu no Index III Episode 25