"Book of the Law" (法の書 Hō no Sho?) is the second episode of the second season of the Toaru Majutsu no Index anime adaption and the twenty-sixth episode overall. It was first aired on October 15, 2010.
On the streets of London, an unlikely scene unfolds: The Archbishop of Necessarius, Laura Stuart, goes out for a stroll with Stiyl Magnus. Laura insists on going on despite her status and Stiyl's bickering around about it, and in the middle of their conversation, has her "unusual" Japanese commented harshly by Stiyl. She feels uncomfortable at the remark, and assumes that the Japanese she learned from Tsuchimikado Motoharu is the usual manner of speaking; Stiyl dispels that assumption and tells her to avoid basing him for a normal Japanese citizen.
Soon, Laura switches to a magical form of communication using amulets, and as they walk along, she opens the topic about "The Book of the Law", a person named Orsola Aquinas, and their involvement with the Amakusa Christians, a Japanese religious sect.
Upon reaching St. George's Cathedral, they head inside and discuss further on the issue.
Meanwhile, the second of the three-trimester schedule of classes in Academy City begins.
Because of the hectic schedules, Index is left alone in Touma's apartment. Fortunately, Tsuchimikado Maika is there as well, doing her usual chores as a maid school student. Index discovers from Maika how a maid can go around without hassles and blurts out that she wants to become one as well; however, Maika reminds her that being a maid is never an easy job.
As the two girls converse, a man with red hair and wearing a black robe appears behind Index: Stiyl Magnus.
Touma, on the other hand, finds himself unfamiliar to the upcoming Daihaseisai as a result of having his memories erased in a previous event, and goes home like always. There, he saws a distressed Maika waving at him. There, Maika explains what happened to her companion Index and who was her abductor, and gives a small envelope containing a letter telling Touma to go to Hakumeiza at 7 pm. Upon guessing who kidnapped Index, Touma shrugs it off, as that person is familiar to Index. Soon, another slip of paper fell from the envelope, and it contains a permit for exiting Academy City.
Stiyl and Index talk at the meeting place, and after listening to Stiyl's explanation, Index understands what is going on. As it turns out, Stiyl is asked to return to Japan by Laura Stuart and resolve the issue regarding "The Book of the Law" and Kanzaki Kaori, who has gone missing (and is suspected to switch sides). Also, she wants Index involved as well. However, Index is still puzzled as to why Touma must be involved as well.
Soon, a nun joins them; a girl with braided hair, a short nun's robe, and shoes with tall soles.
Touma decides to head outside Academy City to look for Stiyl; upon his search for Hakumeiza, he sees a woman dressed in black nun's clothing. That woman sees Touma and begins to ask for ways to go to Academy City. Touma explains that there are no means of travel into Academy City, but the confused nun has a hard time understanding what he's trying to say.
The nun decides to stay with Touma longer and there, Touma asks her about her intents on going to Academy City. She answers that she is pursued.
At Hakumeiza, the stranger that joins Stiyl and Index introduces herself as Agnese Sanctis from the Roman Catholic Church, and admits that they are in a dire situation, not knowing how their enemy--the Amakusa--work. Index tells Agnese that the Amakusa are masters in subtlety, their powerful spells disguised in the least likely of places. Soon, Index notices Touma going their way, and Agnese notices someone familiar with him: Orsola Aquinas.
Touma finally meets up with Stiyl and demands an explanation from him. However, Stiyl strongly rejects his demand and instead, asks him to bring Orsola Aquinas--Touma's companion on the way--to their custody. The topic shifts to Stiyl's rudeness against Touma, and back to Orsola, who discovers that she is in front of the same person she has been trying to run away from.
Then suddenly, a voice came out of a ball floating in mid-air, telling them about Orsola living more meaningfully on his custody. Orsola then falls into a triangular hole made by sword that pierce through the concrete, and Touma tries to follow her down, only to be stopped by Index, who sees three men armed with swords below the hole. Stiyl tries to fight back as well, but he no longer feels any presence inside the hole.
Touma looks to Stiyl for any explanation on what's going on, but even Stiyl admits that he wants things explained as well.
That night, Agnese calls the nuns under her command while Index explains on the extent of power of "The Book of the Law". Stiyl also adds that it is capable of ending the world ruled by Christianity. Touma suggests burning the book, but Index tells him that magical books do not burn, and can only be sealed.
They are then joined by Agnese, who loses her balance and drags Touma in an indecent situation the moment she was to start. After receiving a kick from Stiyl for screwing up, Touma goes to listen Agnese with Stiyl and Index. Index judges that Agnese still has little information regarding the Amakusa and suggests that they might use "Miniature Pilgrimage"--a magical transportation technique based on a certain map-- to escape their pursuers. Despite this, Index assures that it can only be done at midnight, meaning that they still have four hours to prepare. Meanwhile, she uses the GPS function in Touma's phone to plot the location of the nearest portal.
For the meantime, they can only rest until the time comes.
As some of the nuns set up their tents, Touma walks around and realizes the tension involved with being a nun. He soon arrives at a tent filled with runes, which he assumes are Stiyl's runes protecting Index's tent, and sees that it's empty. Soon, he hears a scream from one of the larger tents. Alarmed that it might be Amakusa, he rushes to help, but instead finds an naked Agnese clinging to him. Agnese mutters something about a slug and faints, while Touma realizes that Index is bathing with Agnese, and finds the silver-haired nun in tears. Touma tries to calm her down, and the situation ends with Index gnashing her teeth on Touma's head.
Touma retires to a tent with Stiyl watching him. There, Touma asks Stiyl about the girl she likes after having two girls involved with the fire mage (Index and Kanzaki Kaori) on opposing sides. Stiyl tells Touma that he has decided, that he has vowed to protect Index no matter what it takes.
With that, Stiyl tells him to go to sleep.
Touma soon wakes up and finds someone creeping inside his blanket. He assumes that it was Index, but instead, he sees Index on the entrance to the tent and a scantily-clothed Agnese just inches from his face. Index, half-asleep, mutters about returning her frustrations and gives another bite at Touma.
Meanwhile, at Parallel Sweets Park, a man wearing a white shirt with a red cross design and unkempt black hair watches as Orsola is bound behind him. A girl reports to him about the completion of preparations for the Miniature Pilgrimage.
- Touma, Index, and Stiyl meet Orsola Aquinas, Agnese Sanctis and her forces, as well as the Amakusa Christians.
- Orsola Aquinas is abducted by the Amakusa Christians
By order of appearance
- Agnese Sanctis
- Orsola Aquinas
- Agnese Forces
- Tatemiya Saiji
- Amakusa Christians
- Fire magic - Stiyl Magnus
- Communication Amulet - Laura Stuart
- Miniature Pilgrimage (through the Great Japanese Coastal Map) - Amakusa Christians
- This marks the 2nd time in the series we see Touma outside of Academy City, the last time being in episode 15 at the start of the Angel Fall Arc. Touma also went outside of Academy City in the last episode, though this was not shown.
- Touma references him knowing Kanzaki's previous affiliation with the Amakusa Church through Tsuchimikado Motoharu, from episode 16 of the previous season.
- Stiyl and Laura refers to Aleister Crowley as Edward Alexander, which is his given name.
- Liber AL vel Legis is an actual book written by Aleister Crowley in 1904. The title of this episode, Liber AL vel Legis, is the official name of The Book of the Law.
- Stiyl references Elizabeth I as well as St. Martha of Bethany as the type of woman he likes.
Differences in AdaptationEdit
- The scene where Laura is eating and conversing with Stiyl in the cathedral regarding Kanzaki, is resembles the scene from the final episode of the previous season.
|#||Title||Time||Scene & Notes|
- What is the use of that cross necklace Laura handed to Stiyl to give to Orsola?
- Why is the Anglican Church assisting the Roman Catholic Church?
- If Orsola is currently held by the Amakusa Christians, where is the Book of the Law then?
- Is the Book of the Law still in the Amakusa's possession?
- Stiyl: "I will. You know, I've decided to do anything to protect that girl (Index). That means killing anyone in my way. I'll burn them alive, and char their bodies if they're already dead. I vowed this a long time ago. Even if that girl forgot everything, I won't forget anything that happened. Even if it means putting my life on the line." -said to Touma regarding his question if he would still fight knowing Kanzaki might become an enemy.