On the eve of July 19, after a series of normal events, a boy named Kamijou Touma finds himself running for his life as a group of thugs chase him for a few kilometers into the streets of Academy City. What became a gentlemanly gesture towards a seemingly helpless middle-school girl ends up with him getting rescued by said girl, named Misaka Mikoto, a Level 5 esper with the ability to control electricity.
Touma's accidentally mocking words force an encounter between a "worthless" Level 0 and one of the few Level 5 espers in Academy City. However, due to a power that resides in his right hand, the Imagine Breaker, he was able to withstand Mikoto's abilities.
Despite this, however, he considers himself truly unlucky.
A widespread blackout shut down most of Touma's appliances, causing most of his food in the fridge to go rancid overnight. To make things worse, Touma is reminded of his constant streak of misfortune — breaking his air conditioner and needing to do supplementary lessons. As he tries to sort things out for the day, he decides to dry out his futon when a foreign-looking nun with a vicious appetite appears hanging on his balcony.
- Kamijou Touma, in an encounter with Misaka Mikoto, demonstrated his ability for the first time in the series.
- Index meets Kamijou Touma for the first time.
By order of appearance:
- Kamijou Touma
- Index Librorum Prohibitorum (unnamed)
- Tsukuyomi Komoe
- Misaka Mikoto
- Kanzaki Kaori (unnamed, silhouette only)
- Aleister Crowley (unnamed, silhouette only)
- Junta (unnamed)
- Manga shows how Index caught in Kamijou Touma's balcony.
- Who is the girl that hanging at Kamijou Touma dorm balcony
- Why does Touma have Imagine Breaker?
- Why did Index (not named yet) running at the rooftop and jump
- Kamijou Touma: Such misfortune - to himself