This article provides a translated version of a quick question-and-answer section with the artist of the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun manga series, located in a small section in pages 147 and 149 of Toaru Majutsu no Index no Subete where Fuyukawa Motoi's interview is located.
- How would you introduce Toaru Kagaku no Railgun? It is the story of the backstage where the spotlight does not shine.
- How do you draw the characters? I started by trying to follow Haimura’s character designs exactly, but eventually gave up and just drew them however I wanted.
- Who is your favorite character, the easiest character to draw, and the hardest character to draw? My favorite is Mikoto. She has so many expressions and is fun to draw. The easiest to draw is Uiharu. She just fits in the best. The hardest to draw is Kuroko. I still haven’t quite gotten a grasp on her.
- What do you get the most excited about drawing? The scenes where Mikoto fires the titular Railgun.
- What gives you the most trouble? I had never drawn action scenes, electricity, or explosions before, so (due to my failure to study up on it) I had to do all that for the first time. But it was fun doing something new.
- What do you focus on when drawing Academy City? The idea that there are students with low levels who are under a lot of pressure and feel inferior.
- What do you think the appeal of Index is? I can’t say anything no one has said before, but it does a good job of mixing together the high-tech science side and the occult magic side. Also, it has plenty of human drama full of appealing characters and cute girls.
- What characters from Index would you want as a lover, as a wife, as a friend, and to avoid altogether? For the lover, Fukiyose Seiri. For the wife, Orsola. For the friend, Misaka Mikoto. To avoid altogether, Lidvia (Sorry to her fans).
- What do you want to do (either in your work or private life) in the future? I never thought much about the future before and somehow ended up with this job, so I think I will continue not thinking much about the future.
- What are you interested or looking forward to in Railgun? I want to know if Kuroko will have a time to shine.