This article provides a translated version of a quick question-and-answer section with the artist of the Toaru Majutsu no Index manga, located in a small section in pages 140 and 142 of Toaru Majutsu no Index no Subete where Kogino's interview is located.
- How would you introduce the Toaru Majutsu no Index manga? This doesn’t really explain all of it, but it makes you think it’s taking three steps forward and two steps back while it’s actually charging down the center.
- How do you draw the characters? I start with Haimura-san’s characters and then get further advice.
- Who is your favorite character, the easiest character to draw, and the hardest character to draw? Favorite → Himegami. She hasn’t appeared in the manga, but I like how weak her presence is. Easy to draw → They’re all hard, but if I have to say, Komoe-sensei. Hard to draw → Index. I think I mess up so much because I try too hard when drawing her...
- What is the appeal and characteristic feature of the Index novels? The way it betrays your expectations in a good way. It’s completely different than what you imagine from the title and I was shocked at the originality of the probable yet unrealistic setting and its shounen manga hot-bloodedness.
- What is your favorite scene from the Index novels? I love any scene between Accelerator and Last Order.
- What were you most excited about drawing in the manga? The end of the Stiyl fight. That was the first time I focused on drawing a “villain” like that and it was a lot of fun.
- What do you think of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun in Dengeki Daioh? The girls are cute and I’m using it as an example for myself.
- What would you like to tell the people that work on the original novels? I’m very sorry about everything I could be doing better...
- How do you spend your days off? I go outside!
- What will happen in the Toaru Majutsu no Index manga from here on? I hope I will be able to get to the stories after Volume 1.