There are a number of spirits or deities within Voodoo, referred to as the Loa (also spelled lwa). One of these figures, Legba Atibon, serves as intermediary between his kind and humanity, and thus indirectly appears in all Voodoo ceremonies.
There are a number of concepts which are associated with Voodoo, some originating from cultures where Voodoo is also present, but are technically the result of misconceptions or falsities. Despite this, these concepts and their associations can be put into practice regardless.
Voodoo has its roots in traditions and religions from West Africa. These beliefs were brought over to the New World with the slave trade, where they became syncretized with the culture of the slave owners together with a little Native American influence, eventually producing several varieties of the religion which came to be known as Voodoo. One notable variety developed in Haiti.
Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Agnese's Magic Side Work ExperienceEdit
Necromancer Isabella Theism uses aspects of Haitian Voodoo in some of her spells and utilized them during her mock battle with Stiyl Magnus in Barcelona, as part of Agnese Sanctis, Lucia and Angelene's training. Concepts associated with voodoo were also referenced during the nuns' investigation of the forensic cleaning at Nihili Padpois's restaurant, given the owner's past in Haiti.
Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no IndexEdit
A member of the true Gremlin, Zombie, has a background rooted in Voodoo as well as actively drawing in a great number of cultures, giving her an affinity for almost anything which allowed her to devise a spell which would allow the Magic Gods to safely enter the world after their Hidden World was breached. Toyama Luca of the Kamisato Faction also makes use of Voodoo-based magic as a follower of Legba Atibon.
Uses of Voodoo and associated concepts in the storyEdit
- Legba Atibon: A loa who serves as the intermediary between the loa and humanity, standing at a spiritual crossroads, and a facilitator of communication, speech and understanding, believed to speak all human languages.
- Luca follows Legba Atibon and makes use of his role as a deity who manages ceremonies (indirectly appearing in all Voodoo ceremonies through his role as intermediary), therefore not just existing on a specific ceremonial day but at all times, to achieve control of subjective time, allowing her to change the age of her external appearance and prepare magic normally once-in-a-decade in seconds.
- Sacrificial Rituals: There are some pacts associated with Voodoo which involve a person selling their soul to gain power and require them to regularly sacrifice others, otherwise they pay with their own life. These sacrifices can't just be anyone and have to be people whom it pains them to sacrifice, such as family members or lovers.
- Salome refers to Voodoo practitioners who, having sold their soul, must annually sacrifice someone dear to them or forfeit their own life, when describing her own sacrificial magic and what she has sacrificed.
- Lucia referred to this type of sacrifice during her, Agnese Sanctis and Angelene's investigation of the magical forensic cleaning at Nihili Padpois's restaurant.
- Ti Bon Ange: A dualistic aspect of the soul in Haitian Voodoo traditions, which is responsible for an individual's identity and personal characteristics, while the Gros Bon Ange is responsible for biological functions.
- Voodoo Dolls: Effigies which represent a person, sometimes with a piece of them attached, and used to manipulate or bring harm upon them.
- Zombie: Originating from Haitian culture and associated with Voodoo, a dead person reanimated as an undead or a person placed into a death-like trance, through magic, to serve as a slave.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 17 Chapter 2 Part 6
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12 Prologue
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 12 Epilogue
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Shinyaku Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 15 Chapter 3 Part 3
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Agnese's Magic Side Work Experience Chapter 1 Part 1
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Agnese's Magic Side Work Experience Chapter 1 Part 3
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Agnese's Magic Side Work Experience Chapter 1 Part 6
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Agnese's Magic Side Work Experience Chapter 1 Part 7
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index SS: Agnese's Magic Side Work Experience Chapter 1 Part 8
- ↑ Toaru Majutsu no Index Light Novel Volume 07 Chapter 4 Part 4